Grain Free Dog Food

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods

Our veterinarian told us that there is new evidence that a grain free diet for dogs may be harmful to their hearts. If your dog can not tolerate grains, then their food should be supplemented with taurine. The first attached link is what I bought our dog. The second link is a grain free hard food fortified with taurine sold at tractor supply. I don’t know that our dog can not tolerate grains. I had always thought that grain free was better. Apparently no longer.

For what it’s worth...............
Mrs. Woodlands

Has anyone been told anything about this? This was the first time our vet mentioned it.

Mr. W.

All I can add to this is not scientific. We started our two German Shepherds on a raw diet. Raw chicken, an egg, shell and all, and and any vegetables we had laying around. Once COVID hit, it was much harder to find raw chicken. We switched to Taste of the Wild High Land kibble, no grain. Both of our dogs experienced some constipation. After consulting with our Vet/Breeder, we switched to Purina Pro Plan, and have added some bran"Bran buds" and olive oil to their diet, that seemed to help.

Reactions: thewoodlands
For many years we made our own raw dog food. Chicken breast, carrots and broccoli.

After a while we switched to Bravo raw dog food, imported from New Zealand and based on Lamb meat. He did very well.

I feed some raw and EarthBorn kibbles. That brand because it's one of the few never recalled. Was using Nutro for years til both dogs had bad reaction and found out there was a recall.