Grand Voyageur vs Fx 33 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bellullabob

Aug 28, 2013
Rhode Island
Hi,

new to the forum. Have read more than I thought I could on the subject and amazed at the learning curve of a "good fire".

Need an insert that is flush (19inch hearth that I don't want to have to expand). Based on dealers locally, the Xtrodinaire 33 and the Grd Voyageur (voyageur seems too small of fire box) seem to be my best options.

Anyone who has experience w/ either or who has an opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I ended up buying a Jotul C550 Rockland. Seems like the reviews are pretty good overall (spotty internet search due severe thunderstorms cutting off the interweb!)

Those are all high quality units. I'm sure you'll love the Jotul. It's a beautiful unit. Are you having the insert installed professionally? How's your wood supply?

Unit will be installed by a pro in three weeks. Wood supply is my next step and part of the leaning curve! Have about 1/2 cord left that I have never really taken care of since we burned anything in the fireplace. It's been sitting in the rain and on the ground. In the process of building a couple of "sheds" that are raised off the ground and re-stocking the wood so plenty of air can get through all the pieces. My guess is that it will need to sit for at least a season to really dry out. I am also guessing I am going to need 3 cords, but am challenged to figure out how to set that up since I live the suburbs w/ a small tight yard. I might just get one cord that is kiln dried to keep in the basement, and then two cords that is "seasoned" and somehow put that in the yard. I read somewhere in my searches here that there is a "woodshed" thread/forum here I"ll be stalking that next!​

Well, I ended up buying a Jotul C550 Rockland. Seems like the reviews are pretty good overall (spotty internet search due severe thunderstorms cutting off the interweb!)

Congrats and welcome. When I was considering an insert, the Jotul Rockland would have been my first choice. It puts out a lot of heat and I found the blowers to be a bit quieter than the other ones I was considering. Ultimately I ended up getting free standing stove. Enjoy!

Just got my Rockland in and it looks great. You will love the look and from what everyone here has said, it should put out a bunch of heat. Make sure your installer puts in a backoff plate.

Blockoff plate, darn automatic spell check.

Status
Not open for further replies.