Granddad Nickerson Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JKC

Jan 1, 2015
ILL.
Hi,
I have been looking for a Fisher Grandpa or Grandma Wood stove.I have found alot of Timberline in my area. I found a Granddad Nickerson I have not seen before. It looks alot like a Fisher Grandpa Bear. Has anyone had experence with either of these and how would they compare to a Fisher? Thank you for the help.

Hi,
I have been looking for a Fisher Grandpa or Grandma Wood stove.I have found alot of Timberline in my area. I found a Granddad Nickerson I have not seen before. It looks alot like a Fisher Grandpa Bear. Has anyone had experence with either of these and how would they compare to a Fisher? Thank you for the help.
Pics would help. It is probably a copy of a Fisher and the majority of the steel box stoves of the time period work pretty much the same. It really doesn't matter what name is on the door they are big old inefficient stoves. But they are very durable and can put out lots of BTUs

I have found a couple of old stoves that I am looking at to setup in my barn. Vestal and a Burnco. I have not found much information on them. I would apreceate any information if anyone has or had one of these stoves.

20220203_212923.jpg 20220203_212945.jpg

JKC, Most of these stoves work on similar principles. The primary air comes in through the doors as you see in both of these pictures. Some of these older stoves have a steel plate inside the box next to the flue to keep the fire from going straight up the stack. This helps to reflect some of the heat back into the stove producing more heat. Then the size of the stove would be important considering the size of your barn. You would want a stove with an 8 inch flue if you are heating allot of space.