Grandma Firebrick and Install Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Bad news…maybe …...after speaking with several people here in Oregon they all advise me to not install the stove since its illegal. I can get fined and forced to remove it. How realistic is this threat? The pipe will show from the front of the house, so no hiding it.

Bad news…maybe …...after speaking with several people here in Oregon they all advise me to not install the stove since its illegal. I can get fined and forced to remove it. How realistic is this threat? The pipe will show from the front of the house, so no hiding it.
I don't know how often people get caught but they do. And I am still concerned about your chimney. What type of pipe are you planning to use.

Another potential problem with an illegal install is that it will most likely be uninsurable

I don't know how often people get caught but they do. And I am still concerned about your chimney. What type of pipe are you planning to use.

Another potential problem with an illegal install is that it will most likely be uninsurable
Stainless double wall for wood stoves is the pipe I would use. There is a new Regency model F1100 on craigs list in my area for $1000 and they say its new never installed it's legal too

Stainless double wall for wood stoves is the pipe I would use. There is a new Regency model F1100 on craigs list in my area for $1000 and they say its new never installed it's legal too
Ok you just were not very clear about what pipe it was. Way to many people use doublewall stainless connector pipe as chimney pipe I just wanted to be sure. The regency 1100 is a good stove but very small.

Ok you just were not very clear about what pipe it was. Way to many people use doublewall stainless connector pipe as chimney pipe I just wanted to be sure. The regency 1100 is a good stove but very small.
Stainless steel connector pipe? The pipe I have has ends that twist together and is used for wood stove flues.
The regency is suppose heat from 600 to 1200 sq ft

Stainless steel connector pipe? The pipe I have has ends that twist together and is used for wood stove flues.
The regency is suppose heat from 600 to 1200 sq ft
If it is twist lock it is probably insulated chimney pipe.

Yes I know the regency well. I sell regencies. The 1100 is tiny. It will put out decent heat but have short burn times

If it is twist lock it is probably insulated chimney pipe.

Yes I know the regency well. I sell regencies. The 1100 is tiny. It will put out decent heat but have short burn times
So is the pipe I have correct for either stove?

Specs on this Regency say burn time up to 8 hours, is it worth $1000 and do you have to use the blower to spread heat or can you feel the heat the closer you get?

So is the pipe I have correct for either stove?

Specs on this Regency say burn time up to 8 hours, is it worth $1000 and do you have to use the blower to spread heat or can you feel the heat the closer you get?
It sounds like it is probably the right pipe but I don't know for sure without knowing what the ul listing for the pipe is.

And yeah up to 8 hours. Probably 6 hours of heat at most with hardwood. I have no clue if it is worth $1000 if it is in really good condition I am sure it is.

It sounds like it is probably the right pipe but I don't know for sure without knowing what the ul listing for the pipe is.

And yeah up to 8 hours. Probably 6 hours of heat at most with hardwood. I have no clue if it is worth $1000 if it is in really good condition I am sure it is.
So no need to use the blower on it? I don't want a wood stove that relies on power. If the power is out I won't have heat if it's dependent on it. My house was built in 1948 no insulation in the walls. Thinking about blowing in rock wool…as well as the stove addition

So no need to use the blower on it? I don't want a wood stove that relies on power. If the power is out I won't have heat if it's dependent on it. My house was built in 1948 no insulation in the walls. Thinking about blowing in rock wool…as well as the stove addition
There are almost no woodstoves on the market that require power to operate. How big is your house?

There are almost no woodstoves on the market that require power to operate. How big is your house?
Its 1500 sq ft The original size was 1000, the add on goes thru a bedroom so pushing the heat back there would be difficult, just trying to keep the living and kitchen space warmer. The pipe is out in my garage will look to see what it has written on it..

Its 1500 sq ft The original size was 1000, the add on goes thru a bedroom so pushing the heat back there would be difficult, just trying to keep the living and kitchen space warmer. The pipe is out in my garage will look to see what it has written on it..
I can't say for sure without knowing the layout but I would probably look for a bigger stove than that. I mean you are going from putting in a grandma to a 1.4 cu ft stove. Yes the new one is more efficient but there are only so many BTUs that you can fit in a box that small.

I can't say for sure without knowing the layout but I would probably look for a bigger stove than that. I mean you are going from putting in a grandma to a 1.4 cu ft stove. Yes the new one is more efficient but there are only so many BTUs that you can fit in a box that small.
Yes I agree the Fisher would be the right choice for heat but the legalities are what bother me, how big could the fine be? Or will they just make me remove it?
Trying to patch some hardwood flooring so got to the garage , the pipe says Metal Bestos Model SS chimney and under the UL I only got A3 I think,…...need my magnifiers to read in that low light..

Yes I agree the Fisher would be the right choice for heat but the legalities are what bother me, how big could the fine be? Or will they just make me remove it?
Trying to patch some hardwood flooring so got to the garage , the pipe says Metal Bestos Model SS chimney and under the UL I only got A3 I think,…...need my magnifiers to read in that low light..
It has A218 under the UL

I think the Fisher would have probably been to much stove which would mean you would be constantly smouldering it which is bad. I would always pick a good modern stove to heat a house but it needs to be sized correctly.

It has A218 under the UL
I believe all 218 pipe is high temp. Is there an ht anywhere? Do you have all of the other components needed for the chimney?

No chimney, it's just double walled pipe thru the ceiling and roof….

You have chimney pipe that locks together with a twist. (The numbers specify more restrictions on use.)
It is made in double wall or triple wall styles.
Connector pipe is used from stove to chimney. Some call it stove pipe.
Connector pipe can be single wall requiring 18 inches of clearance, or double wall which is for close clearance down to 6 inches.

Looks like $500 fine for non EPA stove use.
Oregon also requires installation permit and inspection, so that would be more fines added on.
I know they have some time restriction on smoke when starting, I believe 10 minutes (?) before it is hot enough to start secondary combustion of smoke and run smoke free. So a habitually smoking chimney can get you fined. You may have "no burn days" in your area. That may be Washington only. You need to check on all local laws.

Reactions: bholler
I believe all 218 pipe is high temp. Is there an ht anywhere? Do you have all of the other components needed for the chimney?
I have decided to install a newer regency stove to free myself from getting fined. I do need the pipe cover that goes on the ceiling. Now HT is height?

You have chimney pipe that locks together with a twist. (The numbers specify more restrictions on use.)
It is made in double wall or triple wall styles.
Connector pipe is used from stove to chimney. Some call it stove pipe.
Connector pipe can be single wall requiring 18 inches of clearance, or double wall which is for close clearance down to 6 inches.

Looks like $500 fine for non EPA stove use.
Oregon also requires installation permit and inspection, so that would be more fines added on.
I know they have some time restriction on smoke when starting, I believe 10 minutes (?) before it is hot enough to start secondary combustion of smoke and run smoke free. So a habitually smoking chimney can get you fined. You may have "no burn days" in your area. That may be Washington only. You need to check on all local laws.
I am going with a Regency F1100 and purchased a new one, although older but never out of box, it's a small stove but heats up 1200sq ft the house is 1500sq ft but I also have forced air gas heat if needed during freezing weather. Plan on pumping the walls with loose rock wool as well. Now need to build a hearth for it, maybe cement board with ceramic tile. Don't need wall shields and I think I can get much closer to the wall.
I had the latch on the door of the Fisher bent back to 90 degrees to shut properly and installing new hinge pins. Add the fire brick and sell it. It's a nice stove but won't hold a fire all night as the stove won't put off much heat unless you use more wood. So I should save on my wood costs with the newer one.

A Fisher Stove will certainly hold a fire overnight. Many here burn 24-7 all season.
Many times you will have so many coals build up, you may need to stir them and open air to burn them down.
When you learn the procedure, you remove ash from the front where it burns down to fine ash, then rake some coals along with charcoal from the rear ahead along with a little ash. This prevents the need to let it go out for ash removal.

Reactions: Todd67
I am going with a Regency F1100 and purchased a new one, although older but never out of box, it's a small stove but heats up 1200sq ft the house is 1500sq ft but I also have forced air gas heat if needed during freezing weather. Plan on pumping the walls with loose rock wool as well. Now need to build a hearth for it, maybe cement board with ceramic tile. Don't need wall shields and I think I can get much closer to the wall.
I had the latch on the door of the Fisher bent back to 90 degrees to shut properly and installing new hinge pins. Add the fire brick and sell it. It's a nice stove but won't hold a fire all night as the stove won't put off much heat unless you use more wood. So I should save on my wood costs with the newer one.
The Fisher would easily hold overnight. The regency may have trouble because it is so small. I really don't think an 1100 is a good fit for a 1500 sqft house with poor insulation. I am all for going with a newer stove but if it is sized to small it will be a big frustration.

I have decided to install a newer regency stove to free myself from getting fined. I do need the pipe cover that goes on the ceiling. Now HT is height?
Ht is high temp. It is the designation of chimney pipe needed for use with wood. UL 103 HT to be specific.

What components do you have for your chimney system?

A Fisher Stove will certainly hold a fire overnight. Many here burn 24-7 all season.
Many times you will have so many coals build up, you may need to stir them and open air to burn them down.
When you learn the procedure, you remove ash from the front where it burns down to fine ash, then rake some coals along with charcoal from the rear ahead along with a little ash. This prevents the need to let it go out for ash removal.
I understand…but my worry was the fine etc and now that worry is gone and I don't have to giveaway so much space to the Fisher. If it wasn't illegal I'd go right ahead with it. Why can't they just add a filter to the flue to cut back the toxins instead of forcing us to buy modern?

Reactions: Jason721
The laws are for particulate size, or smoke particles. A filter would be a restriction preventing the stove from burning correctly. A scrubber of sorts as used in power plants would be far more expensive and each one would need to be tested. Catalytic combustors clean up the exhaust, but how could they assure each one was installed and used properly? It would be untested since not every product could be tested on every stove. So at the time of manufacture, each model is tested, certified and approved with a known particulate size and emission. Only approved stoves can be used in OR, CA, and WA.
Someday there could be a one size fits all laser scrubber, I’m working on it. :cool:

Reactions: Todd67 and bholler
High Temperature.
You may be referring to the ceiling support box that supports the first chimney pipe section?