Grandpa bear fire screen.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Did not find a PaPa Bear Screen but look at this pretty screen..

These are pretty too.

Next to the XL, Grandpa is the most difficult to find. They also sell for close to $200 when you do find one on eBay.

There are three styles depending on the Grandpa year.

The first for the early stoves with round door seal will have a black
frame and the screen will be little + shaped holes with a chrome truck cap type turn handle. They are also collector items, so be prepared to pay.

Grandpa Screen front.jpg Grandpa Screen back.jpg

Later handle;
1st style Screen 1.jpg

This is the evolution of the black screen frame before the chrome trim Contemporary design;

Grandpa Screen 195..jpg Grandpa Screen 195.jpg

The second is the chrome style for flat top doors up to 1980. They have a chrome frame with black screen. Two early styles will have handles with snap on clips at top.

Grandpa Screen never used 23 X 12.5.jpg Grandpa Screen 23 x 13.jpg

Later called "Contemporary" style on brochures will have turn handles which lock on. This is the most common, but still hard to find. They may come up once or twice a year on eBay. Grandma is much easier to find since they also fit the Insert, Teddy, and Goldilocks. Grandpa screens only fit Grandpa.

Screen eBay 12-6-11.jpg Screen eBay 2-17 5.jpg Grandma shown new with box and correct springs.

The third has a rounded top to match Cathedral doors with Fisher stamped in the corner. Paint is black metallic for Grandpa III with arched Cathedral doors.

Grandpa Screen.jpg Grandpa Screen gold 3.jpg

You “can” use the Contemporary style on any Grandpa model since they lock on with clips or two rotating latch levers.

You cannot use the arched top newer screen with the flat top doors since that screen uses tabs that lock on behind door hinge ears when open. The hinges are not spaced correctly and will not hold the screen solidly in place. It will hang on the upper ears and the lower ears on screen will not be behind the lower hinge ears allowing the screen to rotate outward out the bottom. This is a very unsafe condition.

You will find they allow the stove to burn fast like a fireplace in Fireplace Mode. They are not considered a radiant heater in Fireplace Mode. A flue pipe damper is also required when using a screen. It becomes the only fire control to slow the draft with doors open. With fire established and screen in place, slowly close damper until smoke starts to roll in at top. Open damper slightly to allow evacuation of smoke retaining some heat in the stove.

Reactions: PA Mountain Man
Now that's different for they fit right on the stove and I thought the poster was looking for something like the others..lol I can see where they would be hard to find and I hope he can get one for his PaPa Bear.. Maybe someone has one so we will not give up hope,,c

Here is the mismatched Cathedral screen on a flat top door stove. Notice the lower hinges are lower on the flat doors so the screen ears will not both set on the upper and lower hinge plates to capture the screen ears behind door hinge ears.

Arched Screen mismatch 1.jpg

Now that's different for they fit right on the stove and I thought the poster was looking for something like the others..lol I can see where they would be hard to find and I hope he can get one for his PaPa Bear.. Maybe someone has one so we will not give up hope,,c
Only Fireplace Series stoves (double doors) use screens. Papa, Mama and Baby are from the Bear Series and not built wide with double doors for fire viewing. The other screens you're finding are Fireplace Screens for an open face fireplace. Only the correct screen can be used on a stove since they need to lock into place.

Kind of neat really and I can understand that because they can get up to real high heat and in certain places long ago they needed that and I hope you get one...That viewing capacity of these "precious bear stoves"(for you bholler)--lol --having fun here is really a nice size window. I hope you get just the right screen for your Papa Bear Stove...Thanks c

Kind of neat really and I can understand that because they can get up to real high heat and in certain places long ago they needed that and I hope you get one...That viewing capacity of these "precious bear stoves"(for you bholar)--lol --having fun here is really a nice size window. I hope you get just the right screen for your Papa Bear Stove...Thanks c
It also completely eliminates what little efficency the stove has.

Lol ----SA-----clancey
Many stoves used to offer screens. Some still do and they are very rarely used in my experience. I usually see them willing behind the stove with a layer of dust on them.

If a factory screen is required then let the search begin. But if a screen is needed for off handed pleasure viewing then a custom sheet metal shop could easily fabricate one. But at what cost ???
I have the screen for my Gramma Bear and used it maybe 4 times all winter. Mine is behind the stove collecting the proverbial dust particles

Reactions: bholler
If a factory screen is required then let the search begin. But if a screen is needed for off handed pleasure viewing then a custom sheet metal shop could easily fabricate one. But at what cost ???
I have the screen for my Gramma Bear and used it maybe 4 times all winter. Mine is behind the stove collecting the proverbial dust particles
Unless it is a ul listed version there is no reason one couldn't be made. Even if it is listed I doubt it would matter

Mostly about how they attach to prevent logs rolling out and sharp edges. Also the temperature of the handles when in operation, like all parts of the appliance can’t exceed temperature limits. Even the instructions, and any illustrations become part of the listing. The operating instructions using the screen must be in the manual to prevent overheating the stove or flue in Fireplace Mode, and the requirement for a flue damper installed on a listed stove capable of a screen must be in the approved manual.

Next to the XL, Grandpa is the most difficult to find. They also sell for close to $200 when you do find one on eBay.

There are three styles depending on the Grandpa year.

The first for the early stoves with round door seal will have a black
frame and the screen will be little + shaped holes with a chrome truck cap type turn handle. They are also collector items, so be prepared to pay.

View attachment 279072 View attachment 279073

Later handle;
View attachment 279074
I just picked up a grandpa stove that has a square seal and it came with this screen pictured but the latch was the wrong latch.
Does anyone know where I can locate a replacement latch?
About every firebrick was broken if anyone can recommend some good replacement firebricks.

Truck cap handle is the only replacement I know of. The originals look very similar. Some were a T, others L shape. Maybe find an old screen door handle that rotates if you can make your own latch on the back?
Ace Hardware sells bricks by the case reasonable. Tractor Supply, maybe seasonal. Masonry supply stores are the cheapest,

That is correct for the T handle. They had a sheet metal plate on the back with sheet metal screws through it. You can use countersunk machine screws and a piece of sheet metal on the back with washers and nuts. (or grind the points off if you don't like the sharp points on the back)

Grandpa Screen front.jpg Grandpa Screen back.jpg

1st style Screen 1.jpg A few manufacturers made screens for them. This was the L handle.