Grandpa bear installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

weisenta

Jul 20, 2022
Cable, Oh
To start off, I am completely new to burning wood for heat. We currently are looking to heat our home with a Grandpa bear stove. The home is a late 1800’s farm house with a chimney through the center of the home. The stove would be located in the basement of the house. To my best knowledge the chimney was rebuilt from the ground up in 1986 (brick, clay liner, vermiculite and a metal inner sleeve).

It was recommended to put a stainless liner inside the original chimney. Any thoughts or concerns?

I attached photos of where the stove would go, this was the same spot they had used a stove. There is also photos of the inside of the chimney. As you can see there is cracks in the metal liner. This is why the flexible stainless was recommended.

Thanks!

22A27CE5-A6CA-43A3-98FF-A7341C04B94B.jpeg D72B9E0E-EC6F-495F-BCDB-646430C9F723.jpeg E251FBB9-C102-476D-964D-64AB6723F1BA.jpeg

The first thing to check is your statewide and local building code. It is based on the International Building Code which requires all appliances to be UL Listed with a UL Label attached. This is an unlisted stove. The Grandpa models that are tested to UL testing standard will not have angle iron corners, that will have arched top doors and a UL tag on the rear shield. It will be a Grandpa III with solid doors or Grandpa IV with glass doors.

Many insurance companies require all appliances to be UL Listed as well.

Codes also do not allow reduction of the diameter of connector pipe or chimney flue smaller than the appliance outlet. This model has an 8 inch outlet. You will need to measure the existing flue size to determine what will fit.

If the chimney or liner does not meet all safety standards, it will need an insulated liner.