Granite hearth pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jenn1

Oct 6, 2022
New York State
We are having a brand new Castleton Soapstone wood stone installed next month and are doing the hearth pad ourselves. Looking for information on using a solid slab of black granite as the hearth pad. A Google search has turned up little info on using granite under a wood stove and the few references I found recommended a slab 2 or 3 inches thick which seems a bit excessive. The stove has built in heat shields etc so my question does NOT revolve around heat protection but around supporting the weight of a 475 pound stove. The slab will be laid directly on the subfloor and be fully supported.

The key will be having a perfectly flat surface for the stone so that the weight is evenly supported. 1" stone will be ok. This may take a layer of cement board on the subfloor. Use a good leveling compound to fill any minor gaps.

It's not granite, but I have a 500 lb soapstone stove sitting on 3/8" porcelain tiles with no issue. I did put a layer of backerboard down under them to make sure everything was completely flat. I would guess 3/4" or 1 1/4" slabs (common bathroom/kitchen granite counter thicknesses) should be fine as long as it's fully supported.

We are having a brand new Castleton Soapstone wood stone installed next month and are doing the hearth pad ourselves. Looking for information on using a solid slab of black granite as the hearth pad. A Google search has turned up little info on using granite under a wood stove and the few references I found recommended a slab 2 or 3 inches thick which seems a bit excessive. The stove has built in heat shields etc so my question does NOT revolve around heat protection but around supporting the weight of a 475 pound stove. The slab will be laid directly on the subfloor and be fully supported.
How did that work out?
Any pictures?
We are currently considering a granite hearth pad also, local granite guy says he's done a lot of them and just lays the granite on the floor...

We are currently considering a granite hearth pad also, local granite guy says he's done a lot of them and just lays the granite on the floor...
All floors are not equal or level. It's good to check first before putting a 400-500# weight on top.

Reactions: rpwalton