Granny is happy as a bug with the Pleasant Hearth stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnapCracklePop

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2010
Southwestern Penna
When we saw Granny last time, she was on the roof installing her liner... That was more than four weeks ago. The 1800 sq-ft Pleasant Hearth is new, so some of you wanted opinions...

I am pleased, and I feel I got my money's worth. The stove seems to like to sit and purr at 400 to 500 stovetop, and when I open the door to add wood, I think I'm in a Johnstown steel mill, at the door of the blast furnace. I use the blower only when I'm upstairs; I don't care for the noise. I'd rather listen to what the fire has to say.

The firebox is small. Four splits fit reasonably; six is pushing it. Since I'm around most days, though, I don't mind keeping an eye on the fire and tossing in a new split or two now and again. I don't pack it to the roof at night, but I will put in a larger load than my daytime loads. I assemble the nighttime fire around 10:45 and watch the 11:00 news. I listen to Leno's monologue, dial the air intake back, then hit the sack. I'll still have hot coals in the morning, but I help the morning fire with a Rutland Safe Lite Fire Starter Square (neat, no mess). Sometimes I use homemade firestarters I make from paraffin and shredded bills (whaddaya know? A good use for bills!)

When the really cold weather sets in (maybe this week already) I will set up my camping cot in the basement and feed baby at 2 a.m. With my stove in the basement, it does take a few hours to get the upstairs warmed up.

I'm enjoying the basement. I bring my laptop down here and make my rounds of the 'net. I'll have morning coffee in my hanging chair or in the rocking chair. I brought a TV down here for news, crime solving and music... Right now I'm listening to New Age music on Sonic TAP (DirecTV).

My three dogs have staked out napping spots right in front of the stove. That may change if I drop a split on someone's head... The way I have to go thru contortions to reload, I might qualify for the Twister World Championship.

Pleasant Hearth gets a thumbs up from me. The only problem I've had involved the knob for the air intake. I found that you have to hold your mouth right to move it.

So... I'm happy. It does what a $629 stove should (I got a discount). In a year or two I think I'll close in the back porch and put one out there, too. That would be all kinds of special.

Granny will now take questions... Yes, you in the back? Speak up, please.

Sounds like you have 'her' dialed in there, Nancy! (Glad to hear there's another Granny hanging out here also. :)

How are you doing on moving the cold air out of upstairs? Got any fans pointed down to the basement?

Re: the air dial - Have you tried any powdered graphite on it? I just did that with our Jotul Oslo and it makes a world of difference.

Burn warm, baby! :)

Shari

Yup, I concur with Shari, it's nice to have the sisterhood increased. What the wild men here need is the mellowing influence of some estrogen. ;)

We don't have a cellar (the northwest corner of the footings for the the slab is on ledge) but I've never really understood why a woodstove would be placed down there. Seems that most homes have uninsulted concrete walls and that they would soak up a lot of the heat a stove generates and not much would get up to the main living area. Did you not have a suitable place to install your stove on the main floor of your home? what were your reasons?

It's great to know you're pleased with your stove; it's a special kind of contentment. I have a similar routine when I fire up the Classic in my workroom... I head out with my coffee, fire it up, and then sip my coffee and listen to NPR while the fire builds and settles. I watch the horizon brighten and thoroughly enjoy being alone with my thoughts. The perfect way to come up to "operating speed" for the coming day.

Hi, Bobbin,

Two main reasons for basement placement: (1) An existing masonry flue already there; just needed a liner and (2) my dogs sleep in the basement.

Enough heat rises up the basement stairs -- and returns that way -- that my living room and kitchen/dining areas are fine for me. Fine means around 64 to 68 degrees, which many folks on here would consider downright Arctic. But those of us who have experienced the great mid-life "change" might share or understand my preference for cooler rather than warmer. I'm blonde and fair-skinned and never have tolerated heat well. This past summer I had tons of physical labor to do outside, and even limiting my hours to early or late in the day, I sweated through five tee shirts. So, I have no desire to create my own hot flashes...

Other considerations: I had installed a propane heater in the basement last year, and I wasn't happy with how much gas it burned for the heat it gave me. I plan to have it moved up to my boarding kennel in the back yard, where it will be terrific for winter boarders. I also can keep track of heating costs for tax purposes. Right now, I have electric heat in the kennel. Ouch.

Down the road, I probably will add another wood stove upstairs. But first I have to close in the back porch...

It's always something.

Nancy

Sounds like a great plan!

Shari

I can definitely dig the hormonal swings and the readily available masonry flue (I'm a pretty practical kinda gal) and keepin' household animals comfy is important.

One of the fondest memories I have was Mum in her wing chair basking in the sunlight and soaking up the heat from the Fireview. I wish I had snapped a picture of it... but that ship has long since sailed. Seeing family members (furred or not) warm and comfy is how I define the effectiveness of a woodstove.

Yeah, it is always, "something". If we pool our diminishing estrogen resources we may just be able to keep the fools under a modicum of control...

:)

Glad to hear you are happy Nancy! 64 is way to cold for me. My house is usually 70-74.

PS We really need a pic of that hanging chair! :) I've got one outside, more of a child's size, and my grandkids are mesmerized when they swing. I'm thinking about getting one for inside - might be a great 'baby sitter'. :) There's a video of mine over in the Perfect Picture forum where my grand-daughter is a bit alarmed that it got full of snow. :)

Shari

duplicate post for some reason......

Status
Not open for further replies.