Grass Carp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homebrewz

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
East Central, NY
Does anyone have any experience with triploid carp, also known as grass carp for weed control in ponds?
We have a 1/3 acre pond which seems to be regularly infested with the aquatic plant, coontail. We bought
2 grass carp 3 years ago, but it didn't seem to make much difference. We're considering getting more.
I've also read that excess plant removal can increase algal blooms.

Any thoughts?

We have carp in our pond I see 'em eating grass all the time but we still have water weeds...it's not bad enough to prevent swimming though. Like cows and other grazers they just don't eat everything but they do help.

For years we used an algicide made by Ciba-Geigy it kept the weeds out, water clear and as far as I know the fish happy. But now you need a pesticide license to buy it...the one weed you have to be ruthless with are the Lilly pads with the white flowers...they'll take right over. I've been able to manage them by carefully spraying round up on 'em. None in the pond now.

I managed a bunch of ponds and we used the grass carp. They are really hard to strike a correct balance with. We were putting in about 10 per acre and it seemed like they weren't doing anything. After a few years, when they got big, they were eating too much in some ponds. Some vegetation is important to the balance of the other fish.

It all depends on what the ponds "function" is. If it is for looks or swimming, you could add a bunch more grass carp. If it is a fishing pond, I'd wait a few years to see what the adult sized carp are eating.

We were doing a electofishing survey on one of the ponds and shocked up a 49 pounder.

In the ponds that had too many grass carp, we never found a suitable way of removing some of them. They are too spooky for bow-fishing. We never did try a bait and hook. I've heard that some people have made it work though.

You can simply buy a water dye that colors the water blue i believe, This keeps the sun from penetrating to the bottom and checks weed growth. I have grass carp in my pond but am down to one left and he is about 45" long. He eats but can never keep up.

For years we used an algicide made by Ciba-Geigy it kept the weeds out, water clear and as far as I know the fish happy. But now you need a pesticide license to buy it...the one weed you have to be ruthless with are the Lilly pads with the white flowers...they’ll take right over. I’ve been able to manage them by carefully spraying round up on ‘em. None in the pond now.

Friends of mine have a lake house where the shoreline has filled in over the years with lilly pads. They cut and cut and they keep coming back. they asked me if I knew of a chemical that would kill them. someone told us 2-4-D but we cant find it anywhere. They said it was legal to use in a lake. Will the roundup do it. I think the main ingredient is 2-4-D. how do you spray them. Wont the water wash off the roundup? I am very interested .

ScottF said:
For years we used an algicide made by Ciba-Geigy it kept the weeds out, water clear and as far as I know the fish happy. But now you need a pesticide license to buy it...the one weed you have to be ruthless with are the Lilly pads with the white flowers...they’ll take right over. I’ve been able to manage them by carefully spraying round up on ‘em. None in the pond now.

Friends of mine have a lake house where the shoreline has filled in over the years with lilly pads. They cut and cut and they keep coming back. they asked me if I knew of a chemical that would kill them. someone told us 2-4-D but we cant find it anywhere. They said it was legal to use in a lake. Will the roundup do it. I think the main ingredient is 2-4-D. how do you spray them. Wont the water wash off the roundup? I am very interested .

If you put round up in the water it will kill the weeds and all the fish along with them. There are some chemicals available but with most you need a permit (which is easy to get). maybe a long rake for removal would work as they begin to grow before they get out of hand. My pond is crystal clear and is fed by 4 springs located at different sopts in and around the pond. I have also tapped one and i use it as a main source of water for the house. It flows at 1.5 gallons a minute. My pond is bleow

Attachments

• 66-65-75412.jpg
    66-65-75412.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 319
ScottF said:

Scott with the water lilies only I hand spray 'em as they pop threw the water and it kills them...but I don't overdo it, 1 shot will do it. Except for a few shot of spray I don't put any chems in the water now...but that algaecide I use to buy was great. Farmers can still buy it cause they have a pesticide license. With that you can only put it in the pond in the early spring after the ice melts. If you put it in when the water is warm it'll kill the fish...otherwise the fish are fine. Our pond is only 75'x100' so it's real easy to manage. If other weeds in the shallow end become a nuisance I just rake out. Of course the fish need some cover so I'm not too ruthless with the weeds...we just don't want 'em taking over the pond.

Just for clarity at this point in time I have no lilly pads in the pond but if I see 1 it gets a shot of Round up asap. To me one lilly pad is a show stopper cause I know what a pita they can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.