grate warped?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgt panties

Jan 1, 2014
NC
Hi I have an old Fisher Granpa Bear that came with a grate made of 5/8 square iron bar. I am suspicious that the grate is warping but it is happening so slowly I'm not sure. The front of the grate lays about 3 7/8 from the floor. The back of the grate lays about 3/4" from the floor and the back legs seem to be splayed out more than probably should be. Pretty sure it's warped right? Is this a common occurence? What should the normal heights be? Thanks.

grate2.jpg

Last edited:
Remove the grate. They are designed to burn on the firebrick bottom leaving 1 inch of ash when cleaning.
Raising wood on a grate is for fireplace purposes to get more air through the wood burning faster and cleaner.
Have you found your correct manual in the sticky section at the top of Fisher Forum page?

Post 22 in this thread is by the builder;
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/cant-seem-to-figure-out.119184/#post-1603766

Thanks Coaly, yes I have the manual. I just always assumed I knew how to build the fire and I guess I didn't. Read the pertinent section. I'll be glad to scrap that thing. Thanks.

(PS. I'm so glad to have the extra room now too.)

Yeah, you will be surprised the length of burn you get. You should end up with a coal pile in the morning. It will burn down to ash behind the intakes better than anywhere else. So remove that ash every morning, then rake the coal pile ahead with a little ash, and build your fire on it with kindling. That way you never leave it go out and get cold to remove ash.

Reactions: lango
Status
Not open for further replies.