Grease for EF-3 Auger motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ShaneR34

Hearth Supporter
Sep 19, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
So...I don't have time to do yearly maintenance this year and have someone coming in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, though there's a couple issues I need to troubleshoot:

My motor housing cracked 3 years ago (give or take) resulting in a fairly large hole due to no "protection" as it sat on the metal arm. At the time, folks here said not to worry as it should continue to run fine. And they were right. I placed a rubber hose over the arm for cushioning. However, I'm getting ready to dismantle the entire auger assembly and thought I may as well add a little grease. That said, is this product acceptable?:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/p...synthetic-grease-85-g-0280813p.html#Questions

If not, any recommendations?

I'm disassembling the assembly as it's not feeding as well as it should (started last season) and hear periodic squealing. So, I plan to take the auger out completely and oil/clean everything. We'll see if that helps. Haven't completely ruled out the motor, although I don't think so...

If you are taking it apart might as well
change out the motor at the same tine

OK then
Open the motor up the grease used is
very thick and heavy . You may be able
to just spread out what is in there . If not
use a heavy axle type grease the type I
use is a very old front wheel bearing
grease from the 1940
1960 Fiber bearing grease don't think
you can buy it any more . Maybe an Auto
parts store