Great choices for humidifier

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Is all this moisture good for house? I use moisturizer on my skin in the winter and I'm fine.

We fought with a dry home until we buttoned things up. We had a floor unit humidifier that couldn't keep up. After airsealing the home, we no longer need one.

Is all this moisture good for house?.....

Humidification has come up before on this site and elsewhere. The first above quote sums up the problem - air leakage, and the answer to the question in the second quote is "No." Human activity in a house produces moisture, and dry outside air leakage flushes it out. It's no secret that a house built very tight needs mechanical ventilation to keep interior humidity DOWN in winter, as well as all year long. A house so leaky that the folks inside complain of excessive dryness is a house crying for a through air sealing effort. Dumping a lot of moisture into a house in winter is not good for the house, and ultimately it could be very bad for the people living there. All that moisture goes somewhere, and if it's into the walls and attic on the way outside, a good deal of that can condense on the colder surfaces, creating a mold environment when temperatures moderate. Lingering moisture in the structure also can lead to rot. So, humidify with care, don't overdo it, and make plans to tighten up the house when weather allows it.

Discussions of this are easily found by searching on "humifier mold air leakage." Here is one: https://www.pvhvac.com/blog/really-need-whole-house-humidifier/

Is all this moisture good for house? I use moisturizer on my skin in the winter and I'm fine.
According to my wife it's good for her sleep. In that I don't snore as much. People are talking as if most are dumping huge amounts of moisture into the air. At least the humidifier I use is self regulating and I try for around 20% or so in the bedroom