Great Hickory Score Today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rphurley

Feeling the Heat
Nov 5, 2008
Central/Eastern CT
Today I scored a huge Shagbark Hickory that had come down in a big storm a month ago. It was sitting on the side of the road but completely covered with branches and limbs. I measured it at 20+ inches a few feet up from the bottom. You can see the brand new Frontier straining under the weight! There is also some rounds of Maple mixed in and I included some shots of my various wood piles.

Rich

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 543
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 563
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 527
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 536
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 542
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 516
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 541
Great score! Gotta love hickory!!

I guess you know this has become an obsession when you take a break from stacking and the first thing you do is check for the new posts on hearth.com. :cheese:

Well, back to the wood.

I found hickory hard to cut, easy to split and great to burn. It kept dulling my chain quickly, but it as worth it.

Great score !!

I love burning hickory and you do get a good workout from splitting it. Nice score!

Are you sure that is shagbark hickory? As always, it is difficult to tell just looking at pictures but it doesn't look right to me. Anyone else?

Backwoods Savage said:
Are you sure that is shagbark hickory? As always, it is difficult to tell just looking at pictures but it doesn't look right to me. Anyone else?

Absolutely. We have many Shagbark as well at other Hickories around here. The proof is in the pudding, my friend! :)

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 435
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 453
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 429
I got Shagbarks all over the place here, Pignut is few/far between, and I Rarely see any Mockernut.
Nice score, I bet those rounds are nice and light.

WoodButcher

I found a few rounds of Yellow Bud Hickory in my last firewood score. Hickory is a rare find around here.

CTburns, please forgive me as I am not trying to say you are wrong. I certainly can be wrong (ask my wife if you don't believe me!). However, that just looks more like a shellbark hickory than a shagbark hickory. Not only in the bark, but also in the leaf.

Nice score on the hickory, but I'd be going back to that dealer that sold you that truck and tell him he owes you at least 4' worth of bed and some suspension!!! :cheese:

Wet1 said:
he owes you at least 4' worth of bed and some suspension!!!
I wasn't going to be the first one to say it but that's what I was thinking.

Backwoods Savage said:
CTburns, please forgive me as I am not trying to say you are wrong. I certainly can be wrong (ask my wife if you don't believe me!). However, that just looks more like a shellbark hickory than a shagbark hickory. Not only in the bark, but also in the leaf.

No offense taken Savage! I see what you mean, but most of the shaggy type bark came off when I was rolling the rounds over to the truck.
R

Wet1 said:
Nice score on the hickory, but I'd be going back to that dealer that sold you that truck and tell him he owes you at least 4' worth of bed and some suspension!!! :cheese:

That was good! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.