great stuff versus tiger foam question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveM195352

Jul 12, 2008
Belgrade, Maine
Need help - confirmation about cost for using the great stuff insulation in a can versus buying the Tiger Foam Kit.

somewhere along the line (can't find it now) I saw where a 16 oz can of great stuff will fill a void of about .8 cubic feet. HD/Lowes sells for about $5./ can

The larger Tiger Foam kit contains about 600 board feet for about $650.00

Is my math right? that 600 board feet is equal to 50 cubic feet?
and IF that is so, than $650 / 50 cubic feet = $13.00 per cubic feet?

and IF great stuff is $5.00 for .8 CF than a cubic ft of great stuff would be $6.25 per cubic feet.

Just doesn't sound right to me - BUT am I wrong? and Where am I wrong????

I have a miserable crawl space to try to seal (and insulate) the rim and buying a bunch of cans would sure be easier to work with IF the cost of the material is anywhere near the same.

Thanks for your help and advice

Dave from Maine

Dave your calculations look good. If I were doing a similar project I would also look at the insulating properties of each product. I know tigerfoam has an r-value of 6 per inch, but I wasn't able to find anything about the r-value of Great Stuff. Also take into account that the yield and r-value may be even lower depending on temperature at application.

Status
Not open for further replies.