Green house tomatoes doing good so far

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Toms doing fine so far. 4 cuc seeds sprouted.
Fan coming on so 80°f + inside.

Attachments

• 100_6126.jpg
    100_6126.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 311
  • 100_6138.jpg
    100_6138.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 306
Dave, you may have posted the info elsewhere, but what else have you got in there?
Not sure if I can make it happen this year, but I'd really like to put up a greenhouse. I'm going to settle for a couple raised beds and whatever else I can do this year.
Plan is to restart small.
Good job on getting those up and running this early.

Got several 6 packs of gardens stuff planted. GH all year for Toms, cucs & peppers.
Will start squash & pumpkin seeds in a week or so.

How hs the greenhouse kept warm enough in winter months

Occo370 said:
How hs the greenhouse kept warm enough in winter months

It don't, by October, it's frozen.
I get what I can, tomatoes, peppers & cucumbers by mid Sept. & take some of the green tomatoes to ripen inside.
With out a GH though, I wouldn't get any of the 3 above.
Should be eating cucs in next few days.

Your plants are easily a couple weeks ahead of ours. We have little 3" cukes at this point and flowers on the tomatoes, but no fruit set yet. We do have some 2" peppers though, lots of greens, picking carrots now and some broccoli.

Tomatoes, peppers and eggplant are outside and doing well. They get covered during cold nights still. About half the beds are planted, the rest will be very soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0718web.jpg
    IMG_0718web.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0717web.jpg
    IMG_0717web.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0720web.jpg
    IMG_0720web.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 198
Very nice Garden. Nice sunny day.
Good weather headed your way for a while. Should make things grow fast.
Your garden stuff is well ahead of mine.
Looking good. I don't see any weeds :)

Still some frozen soil in center of compost piles but soft enough to break up.
We're back to maybe 60 days & 45 -50 nights.
I'll be eating cucs in a few days, about 12 set on & growing fast.
Garden stuff just taking off. Lettuce & cucs for salads will have to do for another month.

Attachments

• 100_6338.jpg
    100_6338.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 183
BG- What do you use for the sides of your raised beds?

bogydave said:

Garden stuff just taking off. Lettuce & cucs for salads will have to do for another month.

Looks like you are off to a great start. Your squash and broccoli are as big as ours. I am impressed. By next year I hope to have the system down a little better with more whole bed tents. With a full time job I don't have enough time to do much more.

I think you mentioned that you rototill in another thread. Do to till the raised beds with a tiller or hand till them?

BeGreen said:
bogydave said:

Looks like you are off to a great start. Your squash and broccoli are as big as ours. I am impressed. By next year I hope to have the system down a little better with more whole bed tents. With a full time job I don't have enough time to do much more.

I think you mentioned that you rototill in another thread. Do to till the raised beds with a tiller or hand till them?

Thanks
I have a potato patch outside the garden that I till, (moose don't eat potatoes, just walk on them :) )
Broccoli, cab cauliflower etc, set out at 2 different times, first plants are recovering from a wind storm, 2nd planting plants caught up (brassica are pretty hardy cool weather plants).
The squash I kept in the GH & planted them last, If windy I throw a tire around them to save some damage, pretty sensitive plants for the 1st 2 - 3 weeks. I think they are just now beginning to grow new leaves. I am trying 4 different things with the squash, solar heated clear bed, regular bed, tires & just raised soil hills. I may find out all methods work, & the extra effort is just for my benefit.

For plant sets, I just dig a big hole in the beds, add compost & plant. For the seeds, i add enough compost to bring the bed to almost full & mix in the top 3 - 4" by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.