Green wood and creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Donlawson84

Feb 15, 2019
MIDDLETOWN, DE
This year I was unprepared and have been burning a ton a green (60-120 days split) of cherry and poplar in my fireplaces. I have since been inspecting my flue and firebox and not seeing much buildup. I was always under the impression green wood was the main cause of build up, seems I had more of those big black boogies with dry black walnut. Any input on experience with avoiding build up?

You avoid build up by burning seasoned wood...no short cut there...keep your eye on your chimney burning that green stuff because it will build up! Clean it wether you think it needs it or not and be safe!

Reactions: Grizzerbear
Can you get some bio bricks or something Similar? Mixing some in will help quite a bit.

Most of the cherry has been down over a year, but I dropped it whole and when I cut It to lengths and split it was still wet. The poplar was dead in place for 2 years before i took it down and still feels wet but burns fast so I mix 1 poplar for every 3 cherry logs.

Welcome to the forums !!!

You are burning this wood in fireplaces?

I am currently burning in fireplaces, I just picked up a Quaker Buck stove that has been in my parents basement out of service for 30 years. We are cleaning that up now then I am sleeving my basement flue and placing it down there. We have a low pitch roof that is easily accessible so
I check my top flues and fire boxes monthly.

I just thought it was odd with this wood being unseasoned and having minimal creasote

Fireplaces don't build up creosote as bad since they move so much air up the chimney at a higher tempature since you can't choke down the combustion air.

Reactions: Dix
Fireplaces don't build up creosote as bad since they move so much air up the chimney at a higher tempature since you can't choke down the combustion air.

When I was running the FP, I'd check, but creosote usually wasn't a problem.

You avoid build up by burning seasoned wood...no short cut there...keep your eye on your chimney burning that green stuff because it will build up! Clean it wether you think it needs it or not and be safe!
I agree. No house ever burned down from over cleaning a chimney. That being said...burn the wood that u have to until you get ahead of the wood game. Just check your chimney often cause like vwmike said a fireplace isnt as bad cause it isnt choked down. But when you line it and put stove in I imagine you will see difference in buildup.