green wood- when to bring home?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lost in the woods

Burning Hunk
Feb 8, 2016
Central PA
hello,
long time reader; 1st time poster! I have the opportunity at work to gather up a fair amount of wood from both our logging jobs and also waste from the sawmill. . . . I have always got that kind of firewood from timber that was cut in the winter time when the sap was 'down' in the tree assuming it would take less time to season than wood derived from timber that was cut in the summer when the sap was 'running' . . . does this make sense? does it make a difference? I would love to hear your thoughts.

I would guess that it would help slightly with moisture. Winter is also a great time to work on wood for future years due the lack of bugs, hot humid air and overall more comfortable conditions. Either way, with drying time -softwoods, maples and birches should get at least a year c,s,s. Denser hardwoods, 2 yrs, perhaps more especially if splits are on the bigger side. If you have rainy climate, top covering is highly recommended. Stack in as windy an area as possible.

The ethics of when to cut trees down is irrelevant if you are simply picking up after someone else. If the tree is already cut then someone has already made the executive decision of "when" it should be done.
Some loggers are ethical in their practices but most arent. Foresters make about 10% of the total timber sale purse. They have the biology background to make the most beneficial decisions for the health of the forest/woodlot/land.
I know this isnt answering the question...but the answer is more important to the environment and the land and is more of a land management practice issue. The future tree growth of the remaining trees for example.
For firewood collection it doesnt matter in the least.
From what Ive been told, trees as living organisms, like all other living organisms have a fixed volume of wood to water ratio. It remains constant. During spring sap flow the "current" runs faster. Like a river. Same volume, just faster travel.
In the winter during dormancy the sap doesnt move at all. Ive read different explantions of dormancy but my feelings about the varied answers is that science hasnt fully grasped all the answers.
The only thing that has really mattered is the drying of lumber in kilns.
However there are many benefits to winter collection of wood from wooded areas.
If you have concerns, the general practice for decades, and the argument has been that firewood gathering is done in the proper "season" which is winter. Not to say that old timers knew best.
My personal opinion is to grab all you can whenever you can...lol :) _g !!!

Reactions: English BoB
Firewood doesn't really start seasoning until it's cut, split and stacked, preferably in the wind.

Hence, whether the sap is running or not is largely irrelevant: the sooner you get it C/S/S, the sooner it will season. Or to put it another way: if you wait 3 months so the sap will be "running", that's 3 months you missed having the wood actually seasoning and drying instead of wet rotting in place.

Furthermore, if you work towards getting on at least the one year plan and preferably a 2 or 3 year plan, you can stop worrying about the small stuff.

Lastly, I would imagine for people still working and not retired like me, outside influences like family life, work and the weather would be far bigger impacts on when you go get wood rather than sap condition. To put that another way: no way in heck am I worrying about sap running: I'm not fooling with wood when it's 30 degrees and the wind blowing or when it's 90 degrees and 90% humidity (typical TN summer), screw that. I'll do it when it's comfortable and I have the time.

Good luck.

Reactions: Jeffm1
The ethics of when to cut trees down is irrelevant if you are simply picking up after someone else. If the tree is already cut then someone has already made the executive decision of "when" it should be done.
Some loggers are ethical in their practices but most arent. Foresters make about 10% of the total timber sale purse. They have the biology background to make the most beneficial decisions for the health of the forest/woodlot/land.
I know this isnt answering the question...but the answer is more important to the environment and the land and is more of a land management practice issue. The future tree growth of the remaining trees for example.
From what Ive been told, trees as living organisms, like all other living organisms have a fixed volume of wood to water ratio. It remains constant. During spring sap flow the "current" runs faster. Like a river. Same volume, just faster travel.
In the winter during dormancy the sap doesnt move at all. Ive read different explantions of dormancy but my feelings about the varied answers is that science hasnt fully grasped all the answers.
If you have concerns, the general practice for decades, and the argument has been that firewood gathering is done in the proper "season" which is winter. Not to say that old timers knew best.

Agreed. I decided this past summer to grab some oak from my brother, how could i resist? Temperature 93 in the shade. A few hours later, I was really hurting. Never again.

Dum and dummer AS. How many loggers do you first hand know that "arent" ( AREN'T ) ethical ?
Most cuts ARE managed by Foresters ( certified, consulting, licensed BTW ). Loggers USUALLY follow Forester's plans and record sales to mills. It is law and ethics since BOTH loggers and Foresters are state regulated.
You've "been told" is a feeble excuse for getting out, getting your skillset up to speed, harvesting firewood, and knowing loggers and Foresters work in the real world...like woodlands.
Generalising is fine as long as it is fact based and not slinging. That's an order AS.
Winter is the easiest time for woodland mangement BECAUSE it saves the ground, wet areas are hard, skidding is faster, and no bugs. No "proper" needed.
For others, kindly excuse the rant.
Note the Semantic Police corrections to apostrophe use. ;em;em;em;em;em;em

Last edited:
If in doubt get it out of the woods. Fuel is cheap right now and may not be six months from now. Almost no seasoning happens until its cut and split

With respect to state regulation and law and ethics of logging take a look at this article about when the theory doesn't line up with practice

http://northernwoodlands.org/articles/article/timber-theft

If you aren't familiar with Northern Woodlands magazine its the best source of woods info for New England.

Dum and dummer AS. How many loggers do you first hand know that "arent" ( AREN'T ) ethical ?
Most cuts ARE managed by Foresters ( certified, consulting, licensed BTW ). Loggers USUALLY follow Forester's plans and record sales to mills. It is law and ethics since BOTH loggers and Foresters are state regulated.
You've "been told" is a feeble excuse for getting out, getting your skillset up to speed, harvesting firewood, and knowing loggers and Foresters work in the real world...like woodlands.
Generalising is fine as long as it is fact based and not slinging. That's an order AS.
Winter is the easiest time for woodland mangement BECAUSE it saves the ground, wet areas are hard, skidding is faster, and no bugs. No "proper" needed.
For others, kindly excuse the rant.
Note the Semantic Police corrections to apostrophe use. ;em;em;em;em;em;em
Agreed. Thanks for standing up for logging as this isn't the first time I've seen it negatively spoken of.

In addition to what DUMF said, many issues that arise with logging operations are based largely on miscommunication or incomplete information. Large landowners who contract loggers to clear cash timber rarely know all the laws and procedures associated with establishing an effective project contract. If a landowner doesn't give explicit directions, either written or verbal, to a site manager, they rightfully are to assume to proceed as they see fit based on experience, industry standard, education, etc. Anything the landowner doesn't like after that is directly their own fault for not establishing parameters in the beginning.

Reactions: Jeffm1 and DUMF
Move it asap. It might be a little better to cut in the winter, but it doesn't make so much of a difference that it would be advantageous to wait the six months from summer until winter to get your wood. The earlier you get the wood and sooner it is stacked, the better.

I'd toss a little bit in the truck (all loggers drive pickups, right?) every day. In no time you'll have all the wood you need. Then keep collecting - nobody here would advocate stopping just because you have enough.

And furthermore .....gettin further on this rant: loggers and foresters in most states have to have bonding.
So before you rail ( rant) against those unknown 'loggers' do a fact check....please AS. And get out.
Or, as one of my long ago D.I.'s told us : "when you assume, you make an ASS out of U and ME". Silly but pertinent.

Reactions: Jeffm1
FWIW I prefer to process wood in the winter when there are no mosquitoes and I don't have to worry about getting mud on firewood. Mud on the wood ends up in the living room carpet at my house.

For birch and spruce, cutting sap down in the winter shortens the summer time drying period by two weeks. I am sure that will vary by species.

From the moment it is cut, birch will start rotting until it is split, and then start seasoning.

If I was OP I would grab every stick I had room for at home, and do my level best to get it split before spring thaw. Then stack it out of the melting snow, then cover on top before the rain starts.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Like said earlier grab all you can cut split stack. Give a year for softer woods two to three for the hardwoods, then start burning if it still seems to wet just give more time. You will definitely be able to see the difference in seasoned wood compared to wet wood. Good luck getting your wood stash ahead it's worth the time and effort.

When I was a full time burner, I was grateful of any wood I could get my hands on. If it was green, it would be next years. Standing or laying dead, this years. I would try to have 6 cord by October. Now I have a stove for back up heat and order a cord split and then split it again to rack. (small stove). I am new to the board too. Nice to see another mid stater here.

FWIW I prefer to process wood in the winter when there are no mosquitoes and I don't have to worry about getting mud on firewood. Mud on the wood ends up in the living room carpet at my house.
For birch and spruce, cutting sap down in the winter shortens the summer time drying period by two weeks. I am sure that will vary by species.
From the moment it is cut, birch will start rotting until it is split, and then start seasoning.
If I was OP I would grab every stick I had room for at home, and do my level best to get it split before spring thaw. Then stack it out of the melting snow, then cover on top before the rain starts.

All correct PD. I slice/cut thru the bark of white/paper birch sometimes 2-3x lengthwise depending on size. It can rot even after stacking the butts in a matter of months.

Status
Not open for further replies.