Greenfire , dry splits, and design differences

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparke

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
Maine
In previous posts I have stated that the Greenfire did not burn dry splits well. Well some of that was operator error. Before I had purchased the Greenfire I read through many posts on Seton style boilers. One thing Iseedeadbtu's always talks about is not cleaning ashes. That is true for the Greenwood but definitely not the Greenfire. You see, the Greenfire has combustion air that comes through the ash grate. At first I felt that air may be accelerating the fire too fast and possibly burning excess wood. So, I let the ashes build for weeks. As a result the unit was not gassifying properly. I cleaned out the ashes. I am burnng splits right now and they are burning MUCH cleaner. I doubt the Greenfire burns splits even close to Eko or Tarm. But I know it burns rounds (yes I finally found a few dry rounds) and green rounds cleanly and that is one thing ya'll Eko boys, and Tarm guys can't !!!

"THEORY" says, when the GW damper closes, the only source of air to the fire is the chimney, which SHOULD mean the fire shuts down. But hopefully we all know there is no such thing as an AIRTIGHT wood burning appliance.

So I am wondering how the GGreenFire does on idle with that extra air inlet tube -which I think you described as coming in near the front of the box- and air coming up through the grate. Or does the damper shut those air sources off also when it closes?

Jimbo

The damper does shut the combustion air to the grate. The tube originates in the same place as the ones coming through the refractory.

Sparke
The damper does shut the combustion air to the grate. The tube originates in the same place as the ones coming through the refractory.
Is the extra tube and grate the only design variation on the GF from the Seton ? Also does your unit have an ash pan for clean out ?
Will

The unit has an ashpan like Anthony D's. He has a pic somewhere. The only other design difference I am aware of is the Samson Control as opposed to a mechanical draft motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.