Greenways are good!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bags

Minister of Fire
Oct 12, 2014
Kentucky
My friend who turned me onto pellet stoves has been pellet burning for 6-7 seasons IIRC. He has used Greenways and Somersets each year but prefers the Greenways and the price is much better per ton.

I just went and bought a ton of Greenways myself and here's my take: They are just as good if not BETTER so far. Hard to tell much difference other than the CHEAPER PRICE. The pellets are very similar in ALL aspects except from what I see the Greenways are somewhat lighter in color which really doesn't mean much.

My thought and from comparing the two the Greenways are lighter in color and compressed content. Meaning finer saw dust or without some bigger particles. Same sizes, fines, heat output, etc; Where they kick the Sets ass is in price per ton. My buddy bought these for $205 per ton pre-buy and the best I found Sets pre-buy was $215-$219 per ton. At 7 tons $70 to $90 bucks is exactly that. Saving cash. I found Pro Pellets for $230 per ton which are good pellets too and similar to both the Greenways and Sets. Ash content about the same for all but so far I think a bit less with Greenways.

I may have found a new pellet for next year depending on the prices. The Greenways are very good and the price is very right. So if you find them reasonably priced go for it!

Reactions: Peterfield
My friend who turned me onto pellet stoves has been pellet burning for 6-7 seasons IIRC. He has used Greenways and Somersets each year but prefers the Greenways and the price is much better per ton.

I just went and bought a ton of Greenways myself and here's my take: They are just as good if not BETTER so far. Hard to tell much difference other than the CHEAPER PRICE. The pellets are very similar in ALL aspects except from what I see the Greenways are somewhat lighter in color which really doesn't mean much.

My thought and from comparing the two the Greenways are lighter in color and compressed content. Meaning finer saw dust or without some bigger particles. Same sizes, fines, heat output, etc; Where they kick the Sets ass is in price per ton. My buddy bought these for $205 per ton pre-buy and the best I found Sets pre-buy was $215-$219 per ton. At 7 tons $70 to $90 bucks is exactly that. Saving cash. I found Pro Pellets for $230 per ton which are good pellets too and similar to both the Greenways and Sets. Ash content about the same for all but so far I think a bit less with Greenways.

I may have found a new pellet for next year depending on the prices. The Greenways are very good and the price is very right. So if you find them reasonably priced go for it!

I tried Greenways about 4 years ago from Lowes...said NO MORE, they were nasty as hell! My brother got them last year from a place on pre-buy. I ran out so got a bag from him...good heat, clean, few fines, fair on ash. This year I went ahead and got a ton of the Greenways on pre buy @ $269/ton + $20 delivery. They are HORRIBLE with fines, the ash isn't really excessive but it is like TALC...ugh! My glass gets nasty after about 4 fire ups, I have to scrape the burn pot about every 8-10 fireups...NEVER again will I get Greenways!

I did find Pro Pellets at Tractor Supply once last year - had never tried them so only got 5 bags...for me, they have been THE BEST pellet HANDS DOWN that I have burnt!! VERY hot, FEW fines, VERY clean, VERY little build up in the burn pot, glass stayed clean a good while. Sad part is they don't ship to MD so what I got a hold of was apparently shipped in from another TSC during the "shortage" last year. I keep looking for them though!

Have never found Somersets in my area to be able to try them.

and you should be able to find somersets down in MD much easier then i can find them here. No where to be found this year up here in ny

After being a few bags into the Greenways I have only one thing to add so far. They burn very well and pump out some great heat. I have noticed like the Pro's that they do have some longer pellets in every bag so far. Sets are more uniform in size or length of pellets.

Some I have picked out have been 2 1/2 inches long which would be a problem in some stoves. The P68 doesn't really care as it will simply handle them. I like the Greenways as I have already said. No complaints here. These are Greenways made by a flooring company in TN. Not to be confused with the other green this or that such as Green Supremes, Green Team, etc;

I agree, The Greenways are the best I have burned so far( and I have tried many including sets),great heat and the ash is just a white powder,no clinkers

Last edited:
Reactions: bags
and you should be able to find somersets down in MD much easier then i can find them here. No where to be found this year up here in ny
Nope, Somersets are NOT easy to find here on the Eastern Shore of MD. I think most of the Somersets are on the Western Shore or further north of me in DE maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.