Greetings/Heatilator Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey J

Feb 11, 2013
Hello everyone. I have been reading this forum for a while but this is my first post. I have a Heatilator N42 prefab fireplace and chimney that runs outside the house which is enclosed and framed in . I know the heatilator chimney is double wall and is air cooled. I want to install a stainless steel liner with insulation and a woodstove that sits outside the firebox. First let me say that the air space (even with the cap on) lets in all kinds of wasps and bees that find there way into the house. I would like to stop that. I have a few questions regarding the chimney set-up. When I put the liner in how do I teminatate it at the top? Should I leave the air space of the old chimney open to the air and use the same cap and just run the new flue into the old cap? Should I just put a new top plate and cap on and cover up the air space in the old chimney leaving the old chimney not air cooled? Or is it best to fill up the air space with liquid insulation of some sort. Many question here as I am not really familiar with this type of retro-fit. I might also add that the height of the chimney is 25 to 30 feet high and runs straight up with no bends.

Joe

There is a special top plate designed for a flex liner but still allows you to have the airflow needed. Just get the outside measurement of the chimney you have, the measurement of the outer most wall. Ensure the top plate you buy will cover that opening. On the bottom it has a stainless steel screen that still allows airflow between your current chimney.

Attachments

• flexkingfbtkit.jpg
    flexkingfbtkit.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 112
  • fac_built_liner_adaptor-250x250.jpg
    fac_built_liner_adaptor-250x250.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 81
There is a special top plate designed for a flex liner but still allows you to have the airflow needed. Just get the outside measurement of the chimney you have, the measurement of the outer most wall. Ensure the top plate you buy will cover that opening. On the bottom it has a stainless steel screen that still allows airflow between your current chimney.

Thats very cool. I didn't know they made such a thing! Of course that brings me to another question. With that air space and for safety reasons I like the air space. But with that air space would it not pull out hot air from the room? Is it wise to block the bottom off?

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.