Grilling 1” steaks - This guy from the UK says smoke & sizzle is the ultimate way!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
1. Grill on a pellet smoker on Low heat with a meat probe for perfect internal temp.
2. Reverse sear with Infared on the sizzle zone!

The 2 most popular LP or Gas BBQ grills made in Canada with an IR side burner are:
1. Broil King
2. Napoleon

There are many good WiFi pellet smoker grills.

See video below:
Has anyone tried this?
Is your grill ready for the big Holiday?

Last edited:
Have not done reverse sear on my grill old junky gas or new Kamado but I have done the reverse sear on filets in the oven then in cast iron on the stove. Best way to cook an expensive cut in my opinion if you really like it rare to medium rare. It’s much harder to screw up as long as you have a hot enough sear.

1” is harder to cook IMO than thicker. As long as the IR is really hot it should be ok. Really looking at 45-90 seconds a side. If it’s not able to do that finishing on really hot cast iron might be better.

I got a stack of ribeyes 1” waiting for me in the fridge. Trying to decide how to best cook them. Grill takes too long to heat up to searing temps so choices are smoke them in the grill finish on cast iron, or bake them in the oven then finish them on the super hot charcoal. Leaning towards the first plan. I can probably get my cast grilled hot enough on my gas grill to do the job.

Reactions: Don2222
Maybe I'm a simpleton, but there isn't much that beats a 1" New York steak with Montreal Steak spice cooked to medium on a gas grill.

Cover liberally in steak spice, 3 minutes per side on high to sear, and then 3.5 minutes per side on medium to cook. Let rest 5 minutes and enjoy.

Reactions: Don2222 and EbS-P
Have not done reverse sear on my grill old junky gas or new Kamado but I have done the reverse sear on filets in the oven then in cast iron on the stove. Best way to cook an expensive cut in my opinion if you really like it rare to medium rare. It’s much harder to screw up as long as you have a hot enough sear.

1” is harder to cook IMO than thicker. As long as the IR is really hot it should be ok. Really looking at 45-90 seconds a side. If it’s not able to do that finishing on really hot cast iron might be better.

I got a stack of ribeyes 1” waiting for me in the fridge. Trying to decide how to best cook them. Grill takes too long to heat up to searing temps so choices are smoke them in the grill finish on cast iron, or bake them in the oven then finish them on the super hot charcoal. Leaning towards the first plan. I can probably get my cast grilled hot enough on my gas grill to do the job.
The new Broil King IR sizzle zone Infared side burner heats up from 1200 to 1400 degrees in 3-5 minutes for the best searing there is!!

Reactions: EbS-P
Here are the specs on the new
Broil King S490 Pro IR 304 SS grill with Rotisserie

I’ve spent time in the UK, and believe me, no one should ever take cooling advice from any person on that rock. Ever.

Maybe I'm a simpleton, but there isn't much that beats a 1" New York steak with Montreal Steak spice cooked to medium on a gas grill.
Filet on charcoal, rare.

Watching the videos now. My biggest issue is with the size of the IR burner. I’m thinking about rotisserie turkey on my big Jo’s for thanksgiving and Standing rib roast for Xmas.

I use forced induction on my charcoal grills for reverse searing.

Smoke indirect at 225dF ambient until you hit your target - takes practice to know how much heat you are adding with the reverse sear. The IT will go up 'some' during the sear, you are adding heat. Once you know your serving temp and how much your searing system adds, subtract sear delta from serving temp to find the IT you need to smoke to; smoke indirect to target temp, rest, reverse sear, serve.

Best steaks I have had lifetime.

Couple pics of my setup. Bog standard medium size Webber, I think 22" nominal diameter. From the top, the main thing is charcoal on one side of the firebrick, tin foil on the lower grate on the other side of the fire brick.

You can see the handle in both pics. I set in a 1" diameter piece of conduit, a nipple, from the electrical aisle with conduit nuts both inside and outside the kettle, and then stuck a 1 inch ball valve from the plumbing aisle on the electrical fitting. 90 degree cast iron elbow from plumbing aisle inside. Should do a test cook to burn off and grease up the zinc in the electrical items.

My ball valve is either on or off, I leave the flower petal air vents on the Webber closed all the way through when cooking steak. The only thing the ball valve really does is I close it (and the top exhaust) when I am done cooking to save charcoal for the next cook.

When smoking indirect, air enters through the 1" pipe nipple only, and the Webber runs right at 225dF. When I am ready to sear I sometimes open the lower flower power intake vents, but I usually forget, doesn't matter.

While the steak is resting I use a second hand hair dryer from the Methodist Opportunity Store, from above, to get the charcoal some oxygen from above. I generally pull around 125dF IT for medium rare finished. With the charcoal stimulated from above and the meat rested, time to sear.

I do one steak at a time, 30 seconds with 10 of those featuring forced induction (hair dryer on high) through the pipe nipple, rotate the steak 90 degrees, repeat, then flip the steak on the grate, repeat; 30 seconds with 10 seconds of forced air, rotate the meat 90 degrees on the grate, repeat, cambro.

I think I paid $3 for a revlon brand hairdryer with a sapphire heating element. I don't use the heating element, it is just an air pump to me. I left the ball valve off my other Webber, just a 1" pipe nipple in the same location on Webber #2. #2 is mostly for vegetables and burgers and cast iron griddle use thanks to a different fire basket. For Yakitori, just some firebrick in #2, the flower petals and forced induction from above is adequate.

20220626_235335[1].jpg20220626_235352[1].jpg

I just ran across this post, I now will only reverse sear steaks! The flavor you get is amazing. With the pit boss smoker I can smoke them for an hour or two then take them off and turn the temp up to 400 degrees and open up the searing plate and flip them a couple times till they get to medium rare. The crust is outstanding!

20220604_223924759_iOS.jpg

Video:

I just ran across this post, I now will only reverse sear steaks! The flavor you get is amazing. With the pit boss smoker I can smoke them for an hour or two then take them off and turn the temp up to 400 degrees and open up the searing plate and flip them a couple times till they get to medium rare. The crust is outstanding!

View attachment 296984

Video:
I Won’t ever go back. The other advantage is searing takes the same amount of time No matter the size/thickness of the steak. With one temp probe I. The thinnest steak I can bake/smoke untill it hits temp pull and move the probe.

Once everything is up to temp I can seat away. I did cheap 6$ ribeyes for the family now all my 3 year old asks to eat is steak with the red in the middle. Taco night he want ribeye tacos. Fish, nope steak, Breakfast sausage……

I use the low & slow then reverse sear method for cooking Tritip Roasts on our kamado. Indirect at 250F til IT is 115F. Pull the roast & plate setter/heat deflector & open the air top & bottom til I get 400-450F on the thermometer. Reverse sear for 2-3 minutes each side til I get 135F IT. Rest for about 10 minutes, then carve. I like Woeber’s Horseradish Sauce as a condiment. Good eatin!

I use the low & slow then reverse sear method for cooking Tritip Roasts on our kamado. Indirect at 250F til IT is 115F. Pull the roast & plate setter/heat deflector & open the air top & bottom til I get 400-450F on the thermometer. Reverse sear for 2-3 minutes each side til I get 135F IT. Rest for about 10 minutes, then carve. I like Woeber’s Horseradish Sauce as a condiment. Good eatin!
Did the same with my pork loin last night. I’m not a fan of pork loin in general. But at 2-3$ a pound we eat a good bit of it. It was one of the better ones I have ever eaten.

Reverse sear on the big Joe tonight. Can only sear 4 at a time. Was good but I left some room for improvement. Thinner steaks need to be slow cooked to a lower temp. Took these to 124. 45 sec a side seat got a nice medium. Cuts of meat were average.

Now I saw a new method I may have to try. It involves a cooler and a weed burner. Watch cowboy Kent explain the rest.

03C3E4A5-DE23-48E7-9D80-2AD34715DD39.jpeg

I found some ribeyes on special last week and smoked them Sunday night and they turned out good, but smoking them at 160 which is the lowest my pitboss will go they still cooked quicker than I liked due to their thickness, I just cant find really thick ribeyes anymore at my usual grocery stores (at least not on special). It is still hands down the best way to cook a steak for me.

I take the thinner ones to 115-120 then sear for about a minute per side, sometimes can even flip twice if thick enough.

On a more ground beef note:

I reverse sear all the time. I use the oven for slow cook, then rest then sear in cast iron or on grill. The best way for me by far. Minumum gray band this way and perfect doneness every time.
A temp probe obviously is a must. I dial in London broils to about 123F, 10min rest, Than full heat on grill or cast iron about 90 seconds a side. Season the cutting board with butter garlic and herbs. Rest only a minute or 2 with herb mix under the LB, Cut it up and that's some good stuff for a pretty inexpensive dinner.

Will work with any thick steak 1 or more inches thick.

Last edited:
this is where i learned the reverse sear.

Reverse sear on the big Joe tonight. Can only sear 4 at a time. Was good but I left some room for improvement. Thinner steaks need to be slow cooked to a lower temp. Took these to 124. 45 sec a side seat got a nice medium. Cuts of meat were average.

Now I saw a new method I may have to try. It involves a cooler and a weed burner. Watch cowboy Kent explain the rest.

View attachment 297714

Luv that cowboy Sous Vide video!
In fact I just purchased that propane weed torch in the video at Harbor Frieght last week!

614C90B6-C6F7-4019-953F-249B3D4107E5.png

Reactions: EbS-P
Yeah the weed burner replaces firing up the grill. Not sure yet if it is Better, or not as good as hot grill marks. Need more practice with it.