Grizzly operation. Help...I don't have a clue...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Clovis Man

Jan 12, 2018
Clovis, New Mexico USA
So I have this fireplace, with a metal "chimney" rather than a brick chimney. I think they call it pre-fab or something.

It has an old Grizzly wood stove in it. At least I think it would be called a wood stove -- a steel box with doors on the front with glass windows, and a vent on the top. The doors each have an air inlet below the windows with large "nuts" to control how much air can pass into the stove. It has a fan with the inlet below the doors and outlets on either side of the doors. I suspect it will come on automatically when the box gets hot enough.

I have some fuel -- two packages of the "firewood" they sell at Lowe's, a box of Enviro-Logs, and two packages of RED Stone compressed sawdust bricks.

How do I use this thing??? I have used Enviro-Logs in the past, they're rather easy to light, but probably not the best to use. The "firewood" lights off easily enough but doesn't seem to burn very hot. I've never used the compressed sawdust bricks.

What do I do here???

Thanks

Last edited:
Some pics would help

Some pics would help

Well -- all right then.I may have to try a couple of times to get it right. Keep in mind my question is more about how I operate a fire and fireplace. And wood stoves in general.

IMG_20180115_150405.jpg IMG_20180115_150422.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well before giving you pointers on operation i prefer to make sure your install is safe. And if that insert is in a prefab fireplace it is not. You also need way more hearth protection even if the fireplace is suitable for that insert. And the grate shouldnt be there either

Reactions: Mark8
Well before giving you pointers on operation i prefer to make sure your install is safe. And if that insert is in a prefab fireplace it is not. You also need way more hearth protection even if the fireplace is suitable for that insert. And the grate shouldnt be there either

First, we should probably ensure I know what "pre fab fireplace" means. Just in case I used the wrong words.

Hearth protection -- as in masonry in front of the thing, to prevent the carpet from being burned? Or something else?

And third, I can get the grate out of there in about 30 seconds.

First, we should probably ensure I know what "pre fab fireplace" means. Just in case I used the wrong words.

Hearth protection -- as in masonry in front of the thing, to prevent the carpet from being burned? Or something else?

And third, I can get the grate out of there in about 30 seconds.
By prefab i mean a factory built fireplace installed in a combustible chase not one surrounded by masonry.

Hearth protection means something noncombustible under and 18" infront of the stove with enough r value to keep your floor from catching fire from the heat of the stove

What's a Chase?????
The structure surrounding the fireplace and flue. It can be a masonry chimney. Or it can be a framed structure with a prefabricated metal chimney inside.

Clovis man, huh? Was that your great grandfather who made the Clovis point? You should be proud, that is a beautiful spear point.

I've had that metal plate off once a few years ago. Seems like it has some fiberglass insulation but I don't remember what else. Going to get a screwdriver...

I believe that tile is marble. Probably an inch thick and just a simple concrete slab underneath.
Ok then you are fine for floor protection good.

Well that looks much better but what is behind that metal plate? And what is under the tile on the floor

I don't know what to call this stuff. Some kind of heat radiator or something???

IMG_20180115_154006.jpg

Here's the top of the Grizzly. Sorry it's so dark, I don't think my tablet has a flash!

IMG_20180115_154012.jpg

Reactions: Mark8
Possibly i dont know

Thanks for all your time and knowledge. I've been a little unsure of this thing for quite a while, but my wife is really wanting to have an operating fireplace. I'll have to try and find somebody close by to take a look at it. Might be a problem, we live a long ways from anywhere.

Thanks for all your time and knowledge. I've been a little unsure of this thing for quite a while, but my wife is really wanting to have an operating fireplace. I'll have to try and find somebody close by to take a look at it. Might be a problem, we live a long ways from anywhere.
I wish i could give you a definative answer but without being there i cant say any more than it just doesnt look right.

Reactions: Clovis Man