growing black walnut and red oak from seed / acorn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

patrickk222

Burning Hunk
Mar 28, 2021
alderson wv
i was wondering if anyone has planted a seed from a black walnut and the acorns from a red oak in the ground and if so how did that turn out ? i recently within the past few weeks placed a seed if the walnut in the ground along with my red oak acorns hopefully they sprout in the spring .... and i already did a quick test to see if they would be good which was drop em ij a bowl of water and both sank to the bottom

my neighbor has a red oak the prior owner planted as an acorn. It looks like a 30yo red oak should.

Take heart, if a squirrel can do it, you can too!

Yea the red oak shouldn't be too hard to get started. They will grow just about anywhere. The walnut likes loamy soils but will grow anywhere I presume ....at least they do here. They just dont grow as fast on rocky clay soil.

Reactions: patrickk222
Get yourself a squirrel or 2. Have a handful of oak and walnut in my yard that the squirrels planted for me.

They pop up in my yard all over the place. I try to mow around them to let them grow but usually end up forgetting about them.

I read somewhere a lady put them in cups of dirt and put those in an old unused fridge for a while and they all sprouted. She then moved them into pots and so on.

Growing up we didn't have too many oak trees on the family land so it was a real treat for me to find all kinds of oak trees on our residential lot when we bought our home. I have planted more than a few acorns to grow oaks. I read somewhere that most folks "over-winter" the acorns for a year before planting them. Planting has been a bit haphazard . . . I just walk along, scuff up some dirt, drop in the acorn and rub the soil back over the top.

Red oaks are great tree's but its not recommended to grow them in yards were the grass is watered all the time or has poor drainage, red oaks like dry soil, if they are exposed to wet conditions they will develop root rot and look healthy until there own weight kills them by falling over since the main roots are rotted.
Best area's to grow are light soils w/ rock area's, that promotes good drainage.