Grundfos Alpha Vs. Taco Bumblebee?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Long time, no updates. In the process of replacing 4 older Grundfos 15-42 and 15-58 circulator pumps with Grundfos Alpha1. Michigan has energy rebates of $100 per pump (I called the managing organization and they will rebate at least 4 pumps). With the Alpha 1 15-55F costing around $130 each (from the big online HVAC supply) it's a no brainer. My original Alpha, now called an Alpha 2 has "Autoadapt" to select which mode to use, the Alpha 1 has 3 constant pressure modes. My system is zoned with pumps, and all but one zone is a constant load. For a substantial discount I can push a button to select the mode. With my first converted zone, around 40' of fintube, the lowest power level , constant pressure level I, is 12W and 3gpm per the display. Hard to beat that. The existing autoadapting Alpha will go on the only zone with zone valves. I think the A1 would handle this just fine, but already have the unnumbered alpha. Today's project is to install the remaining pumps now that I have the expensive special gaskets for the old Grundfos isolation flanges installed around the mid 80s with most of the now being replaced (so old they're blue) pumps.

The Taco pumps are a bit cheaper but lack the display. With @Karl_northwind 's comment, and the blinken lights/gadget guy attitude, it was worth the few extra bucks.

The bumblebee is still going strong, but we're snowbirding this winter and will drain the OWB. Tough decision, 30 feet of snow or a winter sitting by the pool...

Got the rebates a couple months ago, 4 close to free alpha1s. Propane heat is staying where we set it according to the neighbor kid who checks the house twice a week, and the thermometer strategically placed to be visible in the Amazon Cloud Cam (AmmoCam?).

Anitfreezed the boiler and winterized the house just in case.

Poolside still beating snow shoveling. Artic blasts and bomb cyclone are just a news story in SW FL. No 250 inches of snow here.

i have tons of alphas out there and they have been absolutely bulletproof. flawless. bumblebees i have had all the problems listed above, up to and including frozen pipes. i have a few of the new viridian 2218 circs out there and had one go into overheat mode next to a boiler water jacket. a piece of foam fixed that problem. i probably use half alphas and half everything else.
I had an alpha for 2yrs and it packed it in , not sure why .replaced with manual grundfoss circ pump which has been in the same application for the last 5 years.

I had an alpha for 2yrs and it packed it in , not sure why .replaced with manual grundfoss circ pump which has been in the same application for the last 5 years.
I just had my first alpha go, about 2 years old. I'm guessing power issue, as they lost all sorts of other electronics at the same time.

I just had my first alpha go, about 2 years old. I'm guessing power issue, as they lost all sorts of other electronics at the same time.

Ya, I kinda think they don't like power outages . As I had quite a few then.