Guestion for electric splitter folks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kork

Nov 25, 2008
Southern NJ
It seem most if not all the cheaper electric splitters recommend the same hydraulic fluid (Shell Tellus T22, Mobil DTE 11, Bp Energol HCP22, Aral Vitam HLP 22). My qustions is where in the heck do you find it? Does anyone use a different /brand ?formula? It seems that these types offer a fairly low viscosity (15). Any suggestions or ideas?

aw46 or 32 should work fine, if your going to use it below freezing temps aw55 (aircraft hyd. fluid) or the old standby ATF.

kork said:
It seem most if not all the cheaper electric splitters recommend the same hydraulic fluid (Shell Tellus T22, Mobil DTE 11, Bp Energol HCP22, Aral Vitam HLP 22). My qustions is where in the heck do you find it? Does anyone use a different /brand ?formula? It seems that these types offer a fairly low viscosity (15). Any suggestions or ideas?

Any Hydraulic shop should be able to take care of you... Look in the local yellow pages under hydraulics. There are also oil suppliers that may be able to give you a better deal.

Gooserider

ISO 22 seems REALLY thin. This is like hydraulic jack fluid. You could check for jack fluid.
I will suspect the reason for the recommendation is a very restricted pump inlet and they don't want to risk cavitation.
The tradeoff is faster pump and cylinder wear with thin fluids.

I would go 32 at least. It is easy to find. How cold do you expect to be splitting?

Don't really expect I'll be out splitting in much colder temps tan around 30 deg. or so.

hyd. oil =higher number thinner viscosity

I'd go with what the manufacturer reccomended, at least as long as the unit is under warranty... Why are you needing to change fluids anyway? Most of the electrics I've seen come pre-filled, I suspect on the assumption that many customers won't know to fill the unit before trying to use it...

I wouldn't consider the wear from different oils to be a big factor, electric splitters are mostly light duty and aren't likely to make enough splits in their expected lifespan to have wear be a big issue. However possibly harming the pump from using the wrong oil could be a far bigger concern.

Gooserider

hyd. oil =higher number thinner viscosity

backwards. ISO number is viscosity at 40C, 104 F, so higher numbers = thicker oil.
SAE higher numbers 0 to 50, = thicker also. The jump to gear oil numbers 75 and up is a different system.

agree, go with the mfr recommended if you can find it. If not, I'd go with AW32.

me too, I just looked at the fluid after 3+ years of running. I assume it is suppose to be clear, it is more brown. I think I have reached the 150 hour mark to change the fluid. also noticed the fluid level is just barely at the bottom line of the dipstick. (That may explain a straining noise I am hearing at 3/4 to the max) Found a comparison chart of simullar hydro oils may be of interest to you(s). Ryobi is open 7 days a week to field questions and order parts. So at my lunch, I will give them a call tomorrow and see what they recomend. You may want to give them a call: 1-800-860-4050. here is that link for comparison chart: http://www.hydropa.de/produkte/kataloge/Ölempfehlungen für hydraulische Anlagen-GB.pdf dead link

http://www.hydropa.de/produkte/kataloge/Ölempfehlungen für hydraulische Anlagen-GB.pdf dead link

!@#$%^ foreign links . they dont work with copy and paste. will try to update and spell it out

fire_N_ice said:
me too, I just looked at the fluid after 3+ years of running. I assume it is suppose to be clear, it is more brown. I think I have reached the 150 hour mark to change the fluid. also noticed the fluid level is just barely at the bottom line of the dipstick. (That may explain a straining noise I am hearing at 3/4 to the max) Found a comparison chart of simullar hydro oils may be of interest to you(s). Ryobi is open 7 days a week to field questions and order parts. So at my lunch, I will give them a call tomorrow and see what they recomend. You may want to give them a call: 1-800-860-4050. here is that link for comparison chart: http://www.hydropa.de/produkte/kataloge/Ölempfehlungen für hydraulische Anlagen-GB.pdf

http://www.hydropa.de/produkte/kataloge/Ölempfehlungen für hydraulische Anlagen-GB.pdf

Links seem to be bad, gave a "file not found" error on the hydropa website... I tried going to their home page and working out to the chart, but nothing looked obvious.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.