Guidance for an insert install within Heatilator Metal Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TonyG530

Oct 18, 2018
Magalia, CA
Good people of Hearth,

I have been browsing the forums for some time getting all sorts of guidance and information on wood burning and inserts.

I currently have a Heatilator installed with a metal chimney. I received a 10yo insert [Lennox c210] for free from a coworker that will fit within (confirmed by professional chimney sweep)-- though it will be tight! He cleaned the existing 8" chimney and quoted an install of $2100 w/ parts & labor.

Professional install was not something I was considering doing even before the quote, but certainly not after. However I'm glad I got the reassurance that this project can work out before I put more labor and money into it.

Ive searched the forums but did not find the specific answer to my question: When installing the chimney liner into a metal chimney, should i definitely use a pre-insulated liner because the chimney itself is not masonry? Or would a single stainless liner suffice.

My instinct says pre-insulated just for additional protection, but would love to get some experienced feedback.
IMG_0315.jpg IMG_0318.jpg IMG_0319.jpg
Thanks in advance! From what I have seen and read this seems like a really great community. Cheers.

What model fireplace do you have and what model insert is it?

What bholler is getting at is that the first step is to check if the original manufacturer allows it, not just if there's physical space.

If you don't do your research you could wind up with everything installed and then have problems with safety, inspections, and/or insurance.

Reactions: TonyG530
I have confirmed in the Lennox C210 Installation Operation manual:

"This appliance can only be installed in the following brands of factory-built
zero clearance fireplaces:
IHP,SUPERIOR, HEATILATOR, MAJESTIC,MARTIN, PREWAY, MARCO, TEMCO and FMI.

The fireplace cavity must be 36” (914 mm) in width, 21” (533 mm) in
height and 14” (356 mm) in depth. Installation in larger size fireboxes
of the same brands is permissible."

I have confirmed in the Lennox C210 Installation Operation manual:

"This appliance can only be installed in the following brands of factory-built
zero clearance fireplaces:
IHP,SUPERIOR, HEATILATOR, MAJESTIC,MARTIN, PREWAY, MARCO, TEMCO and FMI.

The fireplace cavity must be 36” (914 mm) in width, 21” (533 mm) in
height and 14” (356 mm) in depth. Installation in larger size fireboxes
of the same brands is permissible."
Yes but the heatilator mark 123 does not allow for any components or accessories not specified for use with that fireplace to be used. And there are no inserts specified

Would that be possibly because in 1970s there weren't many (any) options?

There are several online articles/vids/posts about doing this

Would that be possibly because in 1970s there weren't many (any) options?

There are several online articles/vids/posts about doing this
It really doesnt mattee why they dont allow it they dont. The only way you could do this and be code compliant is if you get an official letter from hearth and home who now own heatilator saying it is ok to do so.

And you can find videos explaining how to do all kinds of things you shouldnt do online. That doesnt change the manufacturers instructions.

Reactions: VirginiaIron