Had a small explosion now won't light

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom H

Jan 28, 2015
Iowa
Hey everyone, I'm new to this, no experience with furnaces so be gentle. I have a VC 2560, direct vent. (There is no fan or thermostat only operates with on/off switch). Pilot light would not light last year, when it finally did I had a small explosion (for lack of better word). No damage that I know of. Furnace repairman came to look and relit the pilot. It stays lit fine but will not light the burner. New Thermopile installed no change. Repairman says I need new gas valve but I'm not convinced. Any advice? Is there a switch that would have triggered after the explosion?

Update: Took the back off of the stove. Cotter pin attached to a small cable/wire. Warning sticker says do not attempt to re-install safety pin or fire/explosion could result. So naturally I stuck the pin in the only hole that it appeared to go, tried to turn on but no change, pilot still lit just no ignition.

From reading this forum the pin goes to a micro switch - I don't know what that is, how would you reset it?

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum, many different members here with varying knowledge, hopefully someone will be along shortly to give you some feedback....

Did not know what a micro switch was. I put the pin in but nothing happened. Finally found the thin piece of metal that is spring loaded, pulled it back and put in the pin. Fired right up, no problems so far. Very disappointed in the professional I had come look at the furnace and told me it was going to take a $350.00 gas valve to get it going. After already selling me a $40 thermopile. Thanks to you experts for participating in these forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.