Had an “oops” moment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
usually very alert to my stove, but got home yesterday and built fire using pine kindling-maybe 10 pieces or do crisscrossed. Stovetop about 150-175 before I started it back up. Lit it up -got distracted- and came back about 12-15 minutes later to intense fire in firebox. The pine starts up very fast especially thinner pieces that I use. Got it under control pretty quickly as the kindling was mainly spent upon my return. Stovetop 550 or so when I returned. Stove appears fine. I have a new heavy wall insulated liner. Any reason to think one episode like this would cause the liner any issues?

Liner should be ok. You could take a peak, it may have changed color a bit. It's so easy to get distracted. This is why I have gotten used to setting a timer when I am out of sight of the stove. Cell phone clock app works great for this.

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
WiFi thermometer, with alarm, is a next generation improvement. Can't wait until someone figures this product out.

They're available now for BBQs, but temp range may be too low. Auber makes a wireless setup but I don't think there is an app for a phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
They're available now for BBQs, but temp range may be too low. Auber makes a wireless setup but I don't think there is an app for a phone.
You are all over this stuff, BG. I hope someone is paying you some consulting fees somewhere. Thank you for your eager participation on this site. It means a lot.

BBQ and wood heating stoves are close cousins. In a better world, several major corporate conglomerates would compete and sell both, and invest major r&d in technology that crossed across both. If I had more years and grit left in me, I'd try my hand in making this happen. I hope some young, enthusiastic capitalist reads this and gets inspired.

You are all over this stuff, BG. I hope someone is paying you some consulting fees somewhere.
He mainly does it to help his fellow man, and to save lives by promoting safe bio-fuel energy conversion. :cool: From what I understand he's in comfortable retirement, owing to the big money he's made serving as guru-in-chief of hearth.com. ==c

WiFi thermometer, with alarm, is a next generation improvement. Can't wait until someone figures this product out.

Take this...connect to a 12V power supply (really cheap). You can even order it with an enclosure.
http://thesensorconnection.com/egt-...FBZlYcUfpgx336XSlgBwJler9foFvoTRoCCOYQAvD_BwE

SuperLite%20Series_Digital%20EGT%20Probe%20or%20CHT%20Sensor%20Pyrometer%20Gauge_2_0.jpg

Connect this high temp thermocouple to it.
http://thesensorconnection.com/ther...Qr8NKwhfd_0OLoOxwD3yljTmxQQJ9dORoC4aQQAvD_BwE

Weld%20Pad%20Surface%20Temperature%20Thermocouple%20Probe.jpg

Good stuff, SBR.

Solid-state, battery operated, self-contained, wifi connected, might get widespread adoption. Only a few of us are cobblers.

We have a member testing a WiFi thermometer. I’d have to find the thread, but I found one with a quick Google search, they pointed him towards a slightly different one. The one they pointed him to apparently is cloud based and has an app, but both of the options could trigger SMS alerts.

We have a member testing a WiFi thermometer...The one they pointed him to apparently is cloud based and has an app, but both of the options could trigger SMS alerts.
Ammo for the insurance company, from the omniscient eye of Goggle, when you burn your house down and they want to prove imprudent stove operation on your part. ;lol

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
That is pretty much what I call a normal startup.

Ammo for the insurance company, from the omniscient eye of Goggle, when you burn your house down and they want to prove imprudent stove operation on your part. ;lol
Yes, you are right. I had not thought of that. The black box on the black box. Big brother is everywhere and we've invited him right in.

Maybe an option to disable the wifi would be in order.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Here's the thread I think you guys are referring to.

The auber systems work good for basic monitoring but no wifi. They do have remote readout that works floor to floor which I find super convenient for running my basement stove. The setup that wolves1 got though seems super slick if you're not the tinfoil hat wearing type and worried the info will be used against you somehow.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/stove-thermometer.164299/#post-2208825

He mainly does it to help his fellow man, and to save lives by promoting safe bio-fuel energy conversion. :cool: From what I understand he's in comfortable retirement, owing to the big money he's made serving as guru-in-chief of hearth.com. ==c
Yeah right, it's the annual loan of the corporate jet that keeps me here. That and the free bar.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Yeah right, it's the annual loan of the corporate jet that keeps me here. That and the free bar.

Don’t forget the free doughnuts. Very important.

Good stuff, SBR.

Solid-state, battery operated, self-contained, wifi connected, might get widespread adoption. Only a few of us are cobblers.

My new position is an automation sales engineer selling SMC, Mitsubishi Electronics and a variety of other automation related industrial assemblies.
I have no affiliation with the stuff I posted though.

I'm paid to play in factories. Best job in the world. :)

I did not see the WIFI capability in the specs. That would be nice!