Stove thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wolves1

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2014
Malverne ny
Was looking for a stove thermometer that is WiFi. Does anyone know of any?

Those auber ones aren't actually wifi. They are wireless (probably RF) but require a master/slave configuration and use a buzzer to alarm.
I would love to see an actual WiFi (802.11x) unit that has realtime/historical logging and alerting that can be accessed via an app on your smartphone or through a web console.

Reactions: illini81
I have the auber at-210 and yes it doesn't wifi to any phone or puter and it's alarm is quite, well, alarming. But for monitoring my basement stove it's been fantastic. The ring thermocouple i use on single wall connecting pipe is extremely fast acting and accurate. As in you can see air adjustments to the stove almost immediately reflected as temperature change on the auber readout.

Those auber ones aren't actually wifi. They are wireless (probably RF) but require a master/slave configuration and use a buzzer to alarm.
I would love to see an actual WiFi (802.11x) unit that has realtime/historical logging and alerting that can be accessed via an app on your smartphone or through a web console.

I've been looking for the same thing...

That’s exactly what I would love to do track how the stove burns and record the history.

That’s exactly what I would love to do track how the stove burns and record the history.

I've been toying with the idea of actually developing an app to do this. I don't really have the necessary skills, but I have a good friend who teaches a college class on Android apps who'd be willing to help me. I'm afraid though that I'll take the time to figure it out, end up with a crappy but functional app, and then someone else will put out something much better that I'll end up using instead of mine. So if there's anyone else who has the skills... get on it!

I've started a preliminary scope of putting something together with existing parts and found this thermocoupler (The one with the eyelet) would work perfect for installing on the stove pipe and is good up to 2000F that should work with that data logger.

https://www.omega.ca/pptst_eng/XCIB.html

Last edited:
Not familiar with the thermometer industry to say whether this is a quality product but here's a WiFi temp data logger that could work. Probe reads up to 2500F. No smartphone app, viewing the data is web-based, but can send alerts via email/text.
http://www.thermoworks.com/ThermaData-WiFi-Type-K
This may work a bit pricey but want to really make sure will work in a stove for that price.

Not familiar with the thermometer industry to say whether this is a quality product but here's a WiFi temp data logger that could work. Probe reads up to 2500F. No smartphone app, viewing the data is web-based, but can send alerts via email/text.
http://www.thermoworks.com/ThermaData-WiFi-Type-K
Thanks for the info been researching this product from the moment you posted. I called the company and they are super friendly and helpful. The product should do exactly what I was looking for. The people at the company gave me a different product that has an app you can download and it will work with a cloud system with their company no charge. Again thank you so much for the info.

Reactions: Squisher
Please be sure to update if you move forward with this. It looks interesting. The one in the link has two inputs so you could log stovetop and stovepipe. It would be pretty cool to be able to graph out exactly how they were corresponding to each other each load.

Please be sure to update if you move forward with this. It looks interesting. The one in the link has two inputs so you could log stovetop and stovepipe. It would be pretty cool to be able to graph out exactly how they were corresponding to each other each load.
I am definitely moving forward with this. The bad news is this is a Christmas present that my wife is getting for me, she saw how excited I was so she wants to give it to me for Christmas so I have to wait till then. I will post news on how it works after Christmas.

Cool. Nothing wrong with that. Sounds like a awesome Christmas present.

The one in the link has two inputs so you could log stovetop and stovepipe. It would be pretty cool to be able to graph out exactly how they were corresponding to each other each load.

That was exactly what I was thinking.

Thanks for the info been researching this product from the moment you posted. I called the company and they are super friendly and helpful. The product should do exactly what I was looking for. The people at the company gave me a different product that has an app you can download and it will work with a cloud system with their company no charge. Again thank you so much for the info.

No problem. I figured someone had to have built this already so I did a little searching. Glad they pointed you in an even better direction.

Now you’ve got me looking into these or even building one that could also measure what’s in the exhaust.

Illini, sorry to burst your bubble, but if Wolve doesn’t like the app, I have some cool ideas we could work on.

I received the thermometer I wanted to see if it worked. It worked perfect, charts the entire burn and sends to your phone with WiFi. It is the TR-75wf with the high heat air sensor.

Reactions: WayneN
That was exactly what I was thinking.

No problem. I figured someone had to have built this already so I did a little searching. Glad they pointed you in an even better direction.

Now you’ve got me looking into these or even building one that could also measure what’s in the exhaust.

Illini, sorry to burst your bubble, but if Wolve doesn’t like the app, I have some cool ideas we could work on.

Haha, just saw this. No bubble burst. I just really like data, and a wood stove is a product that really lends itself to data logging... but from my cursory search it seemed like there wasn't much out there in the way of data logging equipment intended for wood stoves. Since it turns out that there actually is a product out there, I'm more than happy to use it, and benefit from someone else's hard work.

I agree - if this app isn't up to snuff, we'll go into business together.

I am definitely moving forward with this. The bad news is this is a Christmas present that my wife is getting for me, she saw how excited I was so she wants to give it to me for Christmas so I have to wait till then. I will post news on how it works after Christmas.

A Christmas present - that's an excellent idea. We're a bit short on money right now, having recently bought a house (not to mention the stove), but maybe I could finagle this as a Christmas present...

Do you know if there is there a way to get data off of the app or off of the data logger to dump into Excel?

Thanks everybody I’m starting to feel better about this I thought I was damaging my catalytic.

A Christmas present - that's an excellent idea. We're a bit short on money right now, having recently bought a house (not to mention the stove), but maybe I could finagle this as a Christmas present...
That’s exactly what I did and my wife was happy to do it.

So this app is just for windows OS though? There's no apple app?