Had to call the fire department last night...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LeonMSPT said:
The coal, 2,400 pounds of it. Takes up less room, burns longer, doesn't make smoke or creosote... and can burn it during 30 degree weather out and don't gob up the works.

Show off!!

Nice wheels.

You say you heard a "woosh" sound although the furnace was not operating at the time? I guess your wood furnace was firing low at the time with the damper relatively closed - or there was nothing burning at all when this happened? In terms of pressurization, assuming your furnace has some kind of draft control opening, you can try a smoke taper to see if there is enough draft for the smoke to enter the opening. I'm just wondering what could cause a "woosh" sound, you know. If you got a really strong gust of wind while the opposite side of your house had open windows or doors, that could contribute to a sudden change in internal pressure. Not so much a woosh but a more of a pop is what you get when gasified combustibles build up inside the unit and then suddenly ignite. Maybe the fuel to air mixture wasn't quite right for proper ignition and then like a timer everything triggers all at once set off by coals. I've never heard of it happening in real life. I'm just tossing in stuff. For sure I would have the chimney and flu pipe checked really closely for obstructions. Maybe there was a fat possum or racoon sitting on your vent termination. Just joking.

QuickStart said:
You say you heard a "woosh" sound although the furnace was not operating at the time? I guess your wood furnace was firing low at the time with the damper relatively closed - or there was nothing burning at all when this happened? In terms of pressurization, assuming your furnace has some kind of draft control opening, you can try a smoke taper to see if there is enough draft for the smoke to enter the opening. I'm just wondering what could cause a "woosh" sound, you know. If you got a really strong gust of wind while the opposite side of your house had open windows or doors, that could contribute to a sudden change in internal pressure. Not so much a woosh but a more of a pop is what you get when gasified combustibles build up inside the unit and then suddenly ignite. Maybe the fuel to air mixture wasn't quite right for proper ignition and then like a timer everything triggers all at once set off by coals. I've never heard of it happening in real life. I'm just tossing in stuff. For sure I would have the chimney and flu pipe checked really closely for obstructions. Maybe there was a fat possum or racoon sitting on your vent termination. Just joking.

Im pretty sure it wasnt wind, it just wasnt that windy out. and a change in direction would have no effect, the chimney is smack dab in the middle of the house and comes through right at the peak of the roof.

if it matters, there is no flue damper on this system, its a duel fuel unit so it has a barametric damper.

CowboyAndy said:
I had my brother in law clean the flue for me last night, and it was in pretty good shape. not much out of it.
So i guess I learned a valuable lesson out of all this. in temps above 40 the fire needs to burn hot at all times.

Yup way less troubles burning that way Andy..the wife has been burning the last 24hrs but always just a log or 2 wide always in the red zone.

I rather open a window or 2 rather than slow burn. Of course that's not always possible if your away from the house for 10 hrs of so and are trying to protect pipes from freezing etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.