Had to put our dog to sleep today...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwoair23

Feeling the Heat
Oct 2, 2011
Ohio
Pretty sad day. Our 17 year old Pekingese mix just started deteriorating rapidly over the past couple days, and today we decided to let him go. I have only known him the four years I've been with my fiancee, but she got him when he was a puppy. I like to think of myself as a pretty tough guy, but I have to admit I was crying pretty good at the end.

We have two other Pekingese, and two cats, so we still have them to give us some comfort.

I attached a picture of him when he was about 14-15. Rest in peace Mackenzie. :(

Attachments

• 2011-06-23_19-44-00_921.jpg
    2011-06-23_19-44-00_921.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 184
I am so sorry. I have the world's greatest cat and he is very sick. I don't think he's gonna make it.

I Rescued A Human Today
Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor
peering apprehensively into the kennels.
I felt her need instantly and knew I had to help her.
I wagged my tail, not too exuberantly, so she wouldn't be afraid.

As she stopped at my kennel I blocked her view from a little accident
I had in the back of my cage.
I didn't want her to know that I hadn't been walked today.
Sometimes the shelter keepers get too busy
and I didn't want her to think poorly of them.
As she read my kennel card,

I hoped that she wouldn't feel sad about my past.
I only have the future to look forward to
and want to make a difference in someone's life.
She got down on her knees and made little kissy sounds at me.

I shoved my shoulder and side of my head
up against the bars to comfort her.
Gentle fingertips caressed my neck;
she was desperate for companionship.

A tear fell down her cheek and I raised my paw
to assure her that all would be well.
Soon my kennel door opened and her smile was so bright
that I instantly jumped into her arms.

I would promise to keep her safe.
I would promise to always be by her side.
I would promise to do everything I could
to see that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes.

I was so fortunate that she came down my corridor.
So many more are out there who haven't walked the corridors.
So many more to be saved.
At least I could save one.

I rescued a human today.

my condolences......sad day.

Pretty sad day. Our 17 year old Pekingese mix just started deteriorating rapidly over the past couple days, and today we decided to let him go. I have only known him the four years I've been with my fiancee, but she got him when he was a puppy. I like to think of myself as a pretty tough guy, but I have to admit I was crying pretty good at the end.

We have two other Pekingese, and two cats, so we still have them to give us some comfort.

I attached a picture of him when he was about 14-15. Rest in peace Mackenzie. :(
Very sorry to hear jwoair23, it's very hard when you lose a family member.

Sorry jw it's something we are never ready for..

Ray

Sorry to hear it. We lost the first pet we ever had the 5th of November after 18.5 years .Snoops the Wondercat. Lying on my wife's lap, he was her constant companion, he gasped a couple of times and went peacefully. Shortly before the old fart raised his head and made her scratch his chin one more time.

Sorry to hear it. We lost the first pet we ever had the 5th of November after 18.5 years .Snoops the Wondercat. Lying on my wife's lap, he was her constant companion, he gasped a couple of times and went peacefully. Shortly before the old fart raised his head and made her scratch his chin one more time.

It's never a good time, and its never a good thing, but this is the way we kept hoping Mackenzie would go. I'm sorry to hear about your cat though regardless.

That cantankerous old dog just kept fighting and fighting. As a matter of fact, they had to give him enough sedative for a 100 lb dog, and he was only 23 lbs. He fought and fought until the end. He had a collapsed trachea, which he got through over a year with, but that and some other complications just took too much of a toll this week.

Pets bring so much joy, at least he lived a very long and fulfilled life.

Thanks for the condolences guys, they are very much appreciated.

Reactions: raybonz
17 years is a great run. Very sorry to hear it came to an end.

Bet you'll find the other pets suffering the next few days too :(

pen

Sorry for your loss.Pets are family.

Its tough.Lost my oldest cat Sylvester on Sept. 2nd,kidney failure since Apr 2010.At first he had IV every other day,then last Fall the dose was doubled to every day.He would've been 19 last month.I had him since he was 11 months old.Doing great until early Summer,went downhill fast the past couple weeks.

Just went to sleep on same sofa he had stayed on for 3 days.The other 2 cats took turns sleeping next to him the last few days,so they knew it was getting close.I'm sure they miss their ol' buddy,but are in good spirits,eating good & remain pretty active.Have been together 16 years this month,since they were kittens.

Condolences from us too. We had our older cat put down this spring after several months of failing health. It was tough having to go through it with our kids. In the end we worked through it and grieved a bit. We adopted a kitten about a month later from a coalition who traps feral cats. The mom had a litter and was spayed and re-released. Every day that the weather is cold, I think about had we not adopted her, that kitten would be living outside. Something good did come out of our cats passing.

Sorry to hear of this JW . . . losing a pet is never easy.

Sorry to hear that. I have lost 2 dogs past few years now i have 2 more.

Deepest sympathies. We have a 6 y/o miniature Dachshund, and she is our third child. We'll all be useless basket cases when the time comes, I assure you. I never seen a dog with such a strong, unique personality. She's fiercely loyal to me. The other family members will do, but she's definitely a daddy's girl.

Thanks again for all your kind words everyone, I really appreciate it. Today is a better day, just glad to have the memories now...

Also glad to be a part of this great community, thanks for the support!

Burying my Shepard was very difficult particularly that last shovel of dirt.. It was then that I realized the finality and it hit hard.. Not something I like to talk about to this day.. With time it gets better.. No more dogs for me just cats now..

Ray

Thanks again for all your kind words everyone, I really appreciate it. Today is a better day, just glad to have the memories now...

Also glad to be a part of this great community, thanks for the support!

It's a pretty special bunch of folks here . . . they truly do care whenever any of our members lose someone we love . . . and they truly are the type of folks who would do just about anything for each other . . . even those folks whom they may have never met in person. Just one reason why I still hang out at hearth.com.

Sorry to hear about your loss. It sucks losing your best friend

Sorry to hear about your loss jw. Losing an old friend is not easy. Sounds like he was an amazing fellow. That's quite an old age for a Peek. This has been a year for a lot of hearth.com pets passing and I feel for you all. We miss our cat immensely still. Got home from vacation and the house was cold and quiet instead of being filled with his happy chortles and purring greetings.

Status
Not open for further replies.