Had to take it down...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

snojetter

Feb 1, 2018
Brandon, MN
We built our home 5 years ago and this bur oak was pretty close to the house. In hindsight, there are more trees I should have taken down prior to building but I tried keeping as many as I could. Anyway, the top wilted about two years ago and I left it another summer in hopes it would come back. Nope. It was dead, so it needed to come down this winter. It was a little tricky with one large wildcard limb, but a properly placed hinge dropped it in a great spot. I estimate the tree was 60ft: the trunk yielded about 16 clean 17" rounds and a couple of gnarly ones. The rest was a generous crown.

I've worked on it piecemeal for an hour or so on evenings after work, so it's slow going with a maul. Added to my piles, it'll probably be in line to burn around 2023. Sheesh, that sounds like such a futuristic date!

Attachments

• 20180224_113630.jpg
    20180224_113630.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 274
  • 20180309_180755.jpg
    20180309_180755.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 243
Reactions: mountain man 2
Nice work!

That does seem like a far off date. I could probably burn it in 2021...so just send it to me and I can,make that happen... lol
Nice job there!