Classic case of being upsold, or actually an issue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Boathouse

Nov 20, 2023
NH
Lots to unpack here, but I'll try to be brief. Moved back into a family home 1.5 years ago and replaced an original VC Defiant with a new 2021 Defiant. Kept the setup the exact same for ease. Got a sweep and got to work burning. I had someone come out to do an inspection this Fall and not sure if I'm being upsold. I am home with a toddler, so I'm often a bright shining beacon to a "Doom and Gloom" estimate. Bottom line, he gave me a quote of 11,500.00 and said my new stove isn't suitable for the setup. I'm coming to you guys as a confirmation on my BS meter. Had a camera inspection and a visual inspection of the crown. Tech declined attempting to clean until a decision was made. A couple hairline cracks were found in the terra cotta and a layer of glassy creosote in the flue. (We scrambled to get wood once we moved and unfortunately had some pretty poor hardwood burning 24/7 last year) The details of our setup below.

2021 VC Defiant 8" oval to round adapter, rises about 36" into a right angle/8" thimble.
Brick facade, masonry block chimney, lined with terra cotta tiles.
Saltbox style home, Chimney at least 22'-24' high from thimble. Flue extends down into basement with a clean out.
Clay tile is most likely an 8"x12" terra cotta (I haven't been up on the roof yet, so that measurement is guessed by taking interior measures of 6.5"x10.375")
I know I have water intrusion from the crown and will need to address that this coming spring, along with some minor repointing.

What I was told: Working from the stove, upwards----
Glassy stage 3 creosote
Two hairline cracks in terra cotta
Suggested a blow out of terra cotta to install a 6" liner
Said that my stove cannot run on a 6" flue (however VC themselves make the part to adapt to a 6")
and several other things that tallied up to just over 11k...

I am new to burning, but have read a decent amount and employ critical thinking skills. I budgeted for needing a liner at some point but didn't forsee a clearance issue with the terracotta interior dimensions (6.5 x 10.375). Original installer is extremely difficult to get ahold of and the dealer hasn't been much help. This inspection was done by another company. Happy to answer any other questions or add details if I have left something important out. Thank you for reading all of this and looking forward to everyones .02! Seriously!

Screen Shot 2023-11-20 at 10.12.08 AM.png Screen Shot 2023-11-20 at 10.12.30 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct, Vermont Castings makes an oval 8" to 6" flue collar adapter for the Defiant model 1975 stove. Fixing the flue and burning dry wood are the priorities, not changing out the stove.
The clay liner does need to be addressed but the stove should be ok with the 25' 6" liner. If the creosote can be addressed then an alternative to busting out the clay would be putting in an oval DuraLiner system.

I would get a second opinion on the chimney condition. I have been given a sad story by the sweep, some years ago. I got a recommended second opinion and they said everything was fine. Chimneys do develop problems but I'm afraid there are a lot of companies who prey on fear to boost their bottom line also. The sweep showed me photos of liner rip offs, put in because of scare tactics. They weren't needed and done shoddily. Just sayin'

Reactions: stufus
You are correct, Vermont Castings makes an oval 8" to 6" flue collar adapter for the Defiant model 1975 stove. Fixing the flue and burning dry wood are the priorities, not changing out the stove.
The clay liner does need to be addressed but the stove should be ok with the 25' 6" liner. If the creosote can be addressed then an alternative to busting out the clay would be putting in an oval DuraLiner system.
Definitely agree on wood being the priority! Thanks for the idea on the oval liner, I wasn't aware of that. I do wonder if I'm up a creek with that though as my clay flue is oriented having the narrow measurement as the width and the longer measurement as the depth. I browsed through the catalog and it appears that most of the T joints port into the wider section. Perhaps I'm looking at a round to oval adapter.... lot's to think over. Thanks!

I would get a second opinion on the chimney condition. I have been given a sad story by the sweep, some years ago. I got a recommended second opinion and they said everything was fine. Chimneys do develop problems but I'm afraid there are a lot of companies who prey on fear to boost their bottom line also. The sweep showed me photos of liner rip offs, put in because of scare tactics. They weren't needed and done shoddily. Just sayin'
Definitely with you on needing another opinion!