Hairline crack 500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

armedRN

Nov 29, 2013
People's Republic of IL
I have a hairline crack in the center, back of the top of the stove. It looks like it appears at the start of the oval and is one inch in length. It also has some rust / discoloration where it ends. I figure this means it has been there for a little while anyway. I have been burning for four years now. I guess I must have run it too hot at some point. My question is; is there any harm in using it until I can get it replaced?
I will try to post a pic but I'm not much for computers.
Thanks in advance for any input.
By the way it is a joutl 500

Sounds like it got overheated at some point. I had one on the back of the 602 from someone overfiring it. I think you will be ok burning for a short time while waiting for the part. Just keep an eye on it to make sure the crack is not spreading. You can rub some furnace cement into the crack if it bothers you.

Status
Not open for further replies.