Half rotten ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Trey1979

Feeling the Heat
Sep 20, 2018
Mississippi
Had a ash tree and i had to get rid of it been laying on the ground a few years i noticed how easy it cut and how light it was i figured it wasn't any good but split it anyway a couple weeks ago moisture meeter says 60% but this stuff burns fast and hot i threw a few peices on some coals and had to turn the stove almost all the way down in 10 min and it has massive secondary maybe its half petrified

Had a ash tree and i had to get rid of it been laying on the ground a few years i noticed how easy it cut and how light it was i figured it wasn't any good but split it anyway a couple weeks ago moisture meeter says 60% but this stuff burns fast and hot i threw a few peices on some coals and had to turn the stove almost all the way down in 10 min and it has massive secondary maybe its half petrified
It was in a 6 month flood also

I'll keep slightly punky ash if the rest of the log is good, but if it's so soft it won't split and just mushes or splinters, I throw it back in the woods.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I learned something again that its called punky wood and Google has a definition for it i am assuming that its throws the moisture meeter off