Hampton H1300 Insert Enamel Chipping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
considering this insert, in the Timberland Brown. Everyone is telling me I will regret the decision, due to how easily it will chip. Can anyone tell me if this is really the case. They think it will scratch if a trivet is on top, chip if I hit the side with a chunk of wood, etc. I really want this stove but wondering if I should go with the black, which is second choice. I live in a wood cabin and the brown I am assuming will look so much sharper.........

I think it is the HI300 you are refering to? If so, I have had mine for 2 years now and no chipping. The stove is great, the dealer I had folded and the one that Hampton come out did a very marginal job at best. In less than a year with issues I called the repo and lets just say hampton talks out of both sides of thier mouth. Make sure your install is done right, and check over the insert for any hairline cracks...those are what will "pop" when heated. If you do that you should have a good stove. Also be carefull of water on the enamal finish. That can create finish problems if it cools super quick. With that said I have a half kettle on mine and fill it daily. Never a problem to date. Burn it and enjoy!!! It is a really nice unit and it is made by regency so you can see they have been around a while. One last thing if you do buy it. Put a thermometer on the shelf above the box. It will not stick anywhere else that is usefull. If you run it at a minimum of 200 on up it cranks the heat! If you really get it going to 300 whoa baby!!! Good luck!

Any Enameled iron will chip for a lot of reasons, 90% are caused by some hard object hitting the surface at any speed. It will scratch, chip, crack, pop off, discolor, change color when hot or over heated . Any place the Enamel is missing the iron will rust. Handled with care enameled iron will last, not rust, retaining its gloss and color for decades no repainting required.

Driftwood is right, common sense needs to be used. I have thumped mine a couple of times and winched thinking it was all over. To date (knocking on wood) I have not chipped it. It is actually more durable than you think! But definitely look it over to make sure there are no cracks to start with. All the pretty parts can be replaced. The HI300 is really the 2400 regency with an enamel face! Either way they do a great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.