Hampton Hi301 Wood Insert. Which fuel is right for me?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diener

Nov 14, 2013
NEW ENGLAND
Hello everyone!

I am waiting for hampton Hi301 wood insert.
I have uncomfortable experiences for pellet stove of on of my friends (dry air heat and black dust ), so I went for wood stove.
now I am thinking about choosing fuels for the stove.

(1) seasoned firewood $200 delivered per cord.
(2) Bio brick $255 + extra delivery per ton
(3) Envi8 Block $310 + extra delivery per ton
(4) North Idaho Energy Logs $350+ extra delivery per ton

I think I need 4 cord wood for this winter, but I do not like dust and bugs on fire wood logs.
My wife and I want to use pressed log(bricks) If cost of the logs(bricks) is not too high.
What is the best fuel option for me?
My house is 2000SQ and I do need long burn time rather than big heat ( I am comfortable at 65-67 degrees)
I am interested in NIEL for 10-12 hours burn time(I am not sure ad is true though)

I would like to hear your opinion and experience.
Thank you!

Hi Diener,

I have the Regency i2400 which is the same model as yours but without the shiny exterior. I can share the following from my 3 years of wood burning with this stove.

1) to avoid ash in the house open the door very slowly and allow the draft to pull in the smoke. Otherwise with any fuel if you open the door quickly some smoke can get out.
2) This stove needs very dry wood to operate. No one I have bought from had seasoned wood. Most of it is only 3-4 months split at best. This stove needs wood under 15% moisture to really get going.
3) I have used bio bricks and Envi-8s before. In my opinion the Envi-8s are much better. Longer lasting and much hotter burns.
4) I can only reasonably get about 8 hours of heat out of my Regency, but my house is ~2600sq feet.
5) By welding gloves, with this stove you will need them.

I would actually suggest using the Envi-Blocks (seen here) instead of the envi-8s. Just three or four of the large blocks will burn hot for up to 8 hours and I think you would be happy with the heat.
The only other thing I can suggest is that you get SuperCedars to start the fire since Envi-Blocks take a lot to get going if there is not a hot coal bed already.

Also, if burning full time for heat in a 2000sq foot house, depending on floor plan and insulation, it might take more than 4 tons of these bricks to keep things at 65 all winter.
If you can get over your aversion to cord wood (my wood shed has snakes, so that is always fun) I would start ordering now for two years from now and season at home.

If there are other questions let me know. It took me a full year and a half to get things perfect for me, so I always want to help out so people don't get discouraged.

Thank you so much Chazcarr!
Your advice is very helpful for me.
That's exactly what I wanted.
Thanks again!

You are welcome, let us know how it turns out, and if you can post a picture of your install. The H300 is a beautiful stove.

Running long and hot with seasoned Oak and Black Birch. Yes wood is the most labour but I enjoy the snap, crackle and pop of real wood. If you go all wood someday, keep in mind it takes a minimum of 2 years and best with 3 years seasoned. You have to season yourself because purchasing "seasoned" wood is not even close to being seasoned.

Happy buring!

Status
Not open for further replies.