Alternative Fuels for Wood Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

emsflyer84

Sep 12, 2011
Central NH
Hey guys, I'm getting a new Osburn 2000 insert installed in a few weeks and I'm starting to research fuels now. I'll end up with firewood but having wood seasoned for use this winter will be tough. The bio suppliers near me basically sell Envi Blocks and North Idaho Energy Logs. I've read nothing but good things about both. Right now a pallet of Envi Blocks is going for $349 (315 blocks) and and a pallet of North Idaho is going for $559 (240 logs). Just for reference, a cord of "seasoned" hardwood, cut and split is going for $275 - $325. The bio fuels will be easier for me to store because I have some space restrictions outside around my house, etc. Based on the pricing I just listed, does anyone think the North Idaho stuff is still the best bet for BTU and burn time? Envi Blocks do advertise "great for overnight burning".... I have no experience with any of this stuff, just trying to make an informed purchase. Thanks!

I did not read the above, but that's where the good info is.

Other than the real world experience listed on that thread, I would think that the weight matters. Both will be similarly dry, so if one block weighs double the other block, I would think it'd last (twice?) longer.

Reactions: emsflyer84
I bought two pallets of this product, made by a fellow Marine. https://www.ecoheatfirelogs.com/ The price is right, and it includes delivery to the end of your driveway if you are within the delivery area on their web site. The drivers have electric pallet jacks so if you ask nicely they will bring the pallet as close to your home as reasonable. I had already bought two of these firewood racks at Lowe's. The end result was perfect. Each of those racks is holding 2,200 lbs of wood dust blocks.

20221021_094046.jpg

Reactions: MJSullivan56
I bought two pallets of this product, made by a fellow Marine. https://www.ecoheatfirelogs.com/ The price is right, and it includes delivery to the end of your driveway if you are within the delivery area on their web site. The drivers have electric pallet jacks so if you ask nicely they will bring the pallet as close to your home as reasonable. I had already bought two of these firewood racks at Lowe's. The end result was perfect. Each of those racks is holding 2,200 lbs of wood dust blocks.

View attachment 301702
Thanks I’ll check these out as well.

I did not read the above, but that's where the good info is.

Other than the real world experience listed on that thread, I would think that the weight matters. Both will be similarly dry, so if one block weighs double the other block, I would think it'd last (twice?) longer.
Thanks, and there is a dealer new me that carry’s BioBricks as well.

Reactions: stoveliker
Hey guys, I'm getting a new Osburn 2000 insert installed in a few weeks and I'm starting to research fuels now. I'll end up with firewood but having wood seasoned for use this winter will be tough. The bio suppliers near me basically sell Envi Blocks and North Idaho Energy Logs. I've read nothing but good things about both. Right now a pallet of Envi Blocks is going for $349 (315 blocks) and and a pallet of North Idaho is going for $559 (240 logs). Just for reference, a cord of "seasoned" hardwood, cut and split is going for $275 - $325. The bio fuels will be easier for me to store because I have some space restrictions outside around my house, etc. Based on the pricing I just listed, does anyone think the North Idaho stuff is still the best bet for BTU and burn time? Envi Blocks do advertise "great for overnight burning".... I have no experience with any of this stuff, just trying to make an informed purchase. Thanks!

Northern Idaho logs are the best I have ever used. They are super dense and burn almost like coal. BioBricks are good too.
I did tests on both products and also HomeFire Prest-Logs many years ago. You can read all about them here:

View attachment 301702
Shelter those bricks better. The moment water (or melting snow) hits them they puff up and swell back to useless sawdust.

Reactions: VintageGal
We bought some of the Gren wood fuel blocks from rural king. We haven’t used them yet. Plan to use them in addition to our wood. I have no idea if they are good or not.