Help - Regency insert into a Majestic prefab

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

Oct 14, 2014
Greensboro, NC
Hi - I just joined. My wife and I live in North Carolina and although it is a southern state it does get cold, 20's, we have snow and ice storms and often lose power. Our house was built in the mid 1970's, is a ranch style, approx 2800 square feet. We have a Majestic prefab fire box that the previous owners had installed and used as a wood burning fireplace. We have been here 20+ years. We had vented logs installed and are now wanting to burn wood for supplemental heat and to use in an emergency if we lose power.

We are looking at several Regency insert models. The Alterra CI1200, the I1200 and the Hearth Heater H2100. I have read most of the threads on the site concerning these units and installation into prefab boxes. I have called my insurance company, spoken to the city inspector, spoken with 2 chimney sweeps, read the information on other sites, and had the local Regency rep here. I can't seem to get an agreement. The city inspector says whatever is recommended by the manufacturers is OK. The Regency manuals say it is OK. The Regency dealer says OK but the chimney sweeps and several posts I have read on this site and others say it is unsafe.

My concern is that the Majestic prefab is over 30 years old. We tried to find a model number but there are multiple numbers including L428R, L368, L368R, L368L, L28B, L426R, L428L, L426L, etc. Serial number appears to be 435767 but I have been unable to find anything out about the unit.

I haven't been able to find information on a new prefab firebox that does not already have a fireplace.

We can't figure out a spot for a free standing stove and would like to make use of the fireplace.

Oh yeah - also had a water leak and have to replace wood under firebox. I need a SS liner and a new top.

We are thinking about going with the Regency Hearth Heater H2100 thinking this will put more heat in the room and less in the box: although I will have to extend my hearth and move my mantel. Our fireplace opening is only 22.5 inches high and 33" wide. We do not yet have a wood supply yet so we are thinking of using the compressed hard wood bricks such as Envi blocks, Bio Bricks, Eco Bricks, etc.

I guess my main question is regarding the safety of putting the insert into a prefab especially with limited information on an old unit. I will attach pictures. Thank you.
Front.JPG Opening.JPG Top.JPG Top 2.JPG Firebox.JPG Firebox (2).JPG Inside.JPG Wood rot.JPG Inside 3.JPG Chase.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the condition of the install, risk of rust weakness of the ZC base and the amount of work that has to be done to repair the chase leakage and floor, I would replace the ZC with a modern EPA ZC fireplace. Ask about the Flame Monaco or the Pacific Energy FP30 as possible replacements.

A modern unit is going to heat well and many are ductable to help distribute heat to another location.

A modern unit is going to heat well and many are ductable to help distribute heat to another location.

Thanks - I have looked at the Pacific Energy FP30 and the Flame Monaco on the internet. I have a Pacific Energy dealer about 100 miles from here but there is no dealership for the Flame Monaco near here. I found out that Regency makes a model and Kozy Heat makes several. Both have local dealerships. Any others you would suggest?

It seems like this will be a little more expensive ( it can be hard to find prices on the internet) but peace of mind that we have a safe system is worth a lot. Thanks again for your suggestion.

Thanks - I have looked at the Pacific Energy FP30 and the Flame Monaco on the internet. I have a Pacific Energy dealer about 100 miles from here but there is no dealership for the Flame Monaco near here. I found out that Regency makes a model and Kozy Heat makes several. Both have local dealerships. Any others you would suggest?

It seems like this will be a little more expensive ( it can be hard to find prices on the internet) but peace of mind that we have a safe system is worth a lot. Thanks again for your suggestion.

Just a random sampling of EPA-approved ZC fireplaces/manufacturers not mentioned yet:
Superior fireplaces (by Lennox): http://superiorfireplaces.us.com/products/t/superior-wood-burning-fireplaces (look for the EPA-approved ones)
FireplaceXtraordinaire
Napoleon (e. g. NZ3000)
Quadrafire 7100
Northstar: http://www.heatnglo.com/Products/North-Star-Wood-Fireplace.aspx
Regency Excalibur or R90
Valcourt: http://www.valcourtinc.com/en/heaters/high-efficiency

Try the forum search for real world experiences with any of them.

Most of those units are wider than 36". Make sure you have the room if looking at wider than 36" fireplaces.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will be researching all of the units mentioned. I will probably come up with some other questions but I really appreciate the help. The zero clearance fireplaces really seem to be the answer to my situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.