Hampton HI400 liner recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Logger74

Nov 1, 2014
Massachusetts
I just purchased the Hampton HI400 insert and was looking for recommendations on the chimney liner size. My chimney is about 25' tall and I was considering a 5.5 z flex liner with the insulation kit but I have plenty of room for a 6" liner.. The dealer told me they typically install the 5.5" with that insert, yet the outlet on the stove is 6".
Recommendations?

we always do 6" on them don't know why you would downsize

A 5.5" insulated liner will do fine. The dealer recommending a 5.5" is suspect. Sounds like he has one he didn't sell. Six inch is recommended, Sounds like he is trying to save a buck on the install. Tell him six or no deal..

Yeah i totally agree that a 5.5 will work but if there is enough room why downsize?

Thanks, oddly enough the 5.5" was more expensive than the 6"...maybe because it was a special order. Im gonna return it for the 6". ote="BrotherBart, post: 1799386, member: 6"]A 5.5" insulated liner will do fine. The dealer recommending a 5.5" is suspect. Sounds like he has one he didn't sell. Six inch is recommended, Sounds like he is trying to save a buck on the install. Tell him six or no deal..[/quote]
Tha

Yep, read that. It's like the only review I an find anywhere on the net. The unit caught my eye because of firebox size, and advertised burn times. I know they were well below in that thread - wondered if it was an anomaly, or the norm.

That insert just came out this year so you will have a hard time finding more reviews. The consensus seem to me pretty clear, especially as it does not sound like someone is getting even close to the advertised burn times.

Got the HI400 installed, I do love the look of the stove and it provides some nice heat.
The burn time that they claim seems to be a bit exaggerated, I fueled it up about 10:00pm and at 7:00am there were only a few pea sized coals left.
Now, I didn't really have to much of an ash base as the stove had only been running since that morning before, my firewood could have been cut a little longer to maximize burn time, my stuff is closer to 16".
I'm sure it also could be seasoned a bit longer, it's been stacked under cover for about 7 months.
I'm sure it also could have been loaded more efficiently as well.....I've got a selection of wood sizes and I'm sure anyone could argue that my loading technics could improve.
I am happy with the stove, it just seems like the stars need to aline in alternate universe to get that 14 -15 hour burn time they claim.
I will post some pictures soon-

Status
Not open for further replies.