Hand splitting white pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Always amazes me how easy I can split a 20 inch red oak, but pine kills me.
I'm going to have to remember this, for all those folks always telling me pine is so great, and I should take a break from my endless miles of oak to find, fell, buck, limb, haul, split, and stack some of it.

I only messed with pine once, I was huge and free, really only reason I took it was I have a splitter. it split like ringing a wet towel, kept getting stuck, had to put another split in to push the old one far enough to clear it. and it only lasts half as long as the other wood. not sure why anyone would bother unless its all you have access to

Reactions: Ashful
I only messed with pine once, I was huge and free, really only reason I took it was I have a splitter. it split like ringing a wet towel, kept getting stuck, had to put another split in to push the old one far enough to clear it. and it only lasts half as long as the other wood. not sure why anyone would bother unless its all you have access to
I'm not a big fan of pine and won't go out of my way for it but at least it dries fast. It's good to have in a pinch, like when you realize some of the oak you were counting on needs another season. And it's good for mixing in with hardwoods that are slow to light up.

I split 90% of this with a Fiskars.
WP_20160501_07_55_31_Pro.jpg

Yep all mine is hand split but going to pull the plug on the Homelite. Do you guys think it will run ok on a 3,250 w generator?

Last edited:
i think 2k would be all you need for anything that runs off just a normal 110 plug

so fine, over kill but thats better than not enough

Here's my homelite 5 ton with a cargo carrier from HD. I rigged a simple foot pedal to operate both levers. With the tailgate down it makes for a great work bench.
That looks like a nice setup.

I took some freebie pine last spring, it was a pain to split and sticky as glue. Now that its dried I use it for kindling since it lights easily.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

i think 2k would be all you need for anything that runs off just a normal 110 plug

so fine, over kill but thats better than not enough

If it’s a 115V only generator, then yes. However, if it’s a 230V generator, then you’d want one more than double that capacity, as the rating is combined. Also, even a 4 kW / 230V generator won’t be very happy with 15A load on just one leg.

Pine splits well when really green or really dry, not so much in between. I usually only run into trouble on larger rounds, in those cases I noodle them in half and go from there since I don't have a splitter.