Handle on Regency H2100 air control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Signet123

Sep 2, 2020
Northeast PA
I have a Regency H2100 word burning fireplace insert. It's two years old. The handle on the air control stick is coming off the rod. It's one of those spiral stainless steel knobs, so you don't burn your hand when opening or closing the air. It gets used quite often. Every time I put fresh wood in, I open it up to get the fire going. Once it's flaming I push the stick in to get a longer burn time. It seems like I could put tape on the end of the rod to make it fit tighter, but I would need heat resistant tape. Do they make anything like that, or if anyone has any other ideas. When you push it in, it slides on the rod. When pulling it out the knob comes off. It doesn't have any threads.

You could drill the end of the rod and put a pin in it if you want to get fancy. Or just vise grip the spring near the end and bend it in a little with a pair of needle nose. I wouldn't try taping it.

Have same model stove. Had very same issue and I used a small piece of tape to assist with the handle and rod being a bit loose. Works wonderfully for the past few years...

I prefer Jetsam’s recommendation...

Thanks for the great suggestions. Brazilbl can I ask you what kind of tape you used? I would try Teflon or Electrical, but I'm afraid of it melting. I want to try the least destructive method first. Bending the rod or drilling it would work, but I will save these options for last resort. Crimping it might work too, but might damage the knob. I'll bet I move that knob 50 times a day vwhen constantly burning the stove in the cold weather.

Just use pliers to squeeze the spring handle down a tiny bit. We do it all the time

The solutions provided by men with more experience is the best solution. If for whatever reason the pinching by pliers doesn’t work, anything fire-proof to slightly make the shaft a bit larger to create a snug fit would be far superior than a 1/2 inch piece of electrical tape...

I squeezed the spring handle with a pair of lineman pliers(dykes). This seems to be working well, so far. I put the end f the spring in the square groove on the pliers. The worked better than squeezing it with the jaws of the pliers. It took a little effort to get the knob on. But now, it's working fine. Thanks for all help.