Happy Candlemas Day (AKA Groundhog Day) or halfway through winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Despite the forecast for tomorrow night, its looks like nice winter day today to get ready. Looking at my wood pile that warm January means I have more than half my planned usage still in the pile although I will make a dent in Friday night into Saturday

Here's the forecast from the top of Mt Washington just down the road and 5000 feet above my place (6288 feet).

Friday Night:
In the clouds, becoming in and out of the clouds under partly cloudy skies late.
  • Low: Around 45 below
  • Wind: NW at 70-90 mph early, increasing to 80-100 mph with gusts up to 110 mph
  • Wind Chill: 100 below to 110 below
At my place at 1400 feet elevation they are predicting -20F and -55 wind chill.

Considering the groundhog prediction is only correct about 40% of the time, hopefully this year will be an early spring.

I know the Gorham area is known for wind, but wow! We are having wind on the coast in downeast. Lows are supposed to be around -20 with 20-30 mph wind.

Having Mt Washington the highest mountain in the northeast and at the intersection of three storm tracks nearby, it does keep things interesting. I live up on side of hill about 500 feet above the river valley. If its cold and calm I end up several degrees higher than the down next to the Androscoggin River but I get exposed to higher winds

That's damn cold. Button up, put on the woolies and treat those temps with respect.

I am a winter hiker in the area and been out in some gnarly conditions. As I tell folks now, I have the gear and the skills but not the motivation. These nasty conditions tomorrow and Saturday will turn into 30 degrees and sunny on Sunday. Unfortunately until someone has experienced it they dont know how poorly equipped and trained for and they get in trouble. Usually, a few folks die every winter getting in over their heads and then a mix of volunteer and game rangers need to go carry them o at least their bodies out once they find them as hypothermic folks tend to wander around and end up freezing to death in very hard to find spots. The NH North Woods Law show has had a few segments on winter rescues but normally the conditions are so nasty in winter that they would not be able to film it.