Harbor Freight 2000 Generator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jack Morrissey

Feeling the Heat
Feb 25, 2009
Stoughton, Ma
Does anyone have any 1st hand experience with this generator?? I know the honda 2000i has great reviews on runnig pellet stoves, and the specs look similar. Ive been putting this off for about 10 yrs now......

Is it this one: https://www.harborfreight.com/engin...att-super-quiet-inverter-generator-62523.html

It should power the pellet stove without a problem. There's a number of poor reviews stating it won't run a microwave oven so I'd assume an actual power rating of 1200 to 1500 watts max. A ham radio operator complained it generates alot of RF noise which may not be a problem for most people. Throw in the HF 20% coupon and the price is right. As with anything Harbor Freight I'd have low expectations for longevity.

Reactions: Jack Morrissey
Is it this one: https://www.harborfreight.com/engin...att-super-quiet-inverter-generator-62523.html

It should power the pellet stove without a problem. There's a number of poor reviews stating it won't run a microwave oven so I'd assume an actual power rating of 1200 to 1500 watts max. A ham radio operator complained it generates alot of RF noise which may not be a problem for most people. Throw in the HF 20% coupon and the price is right. As with anything Harbor Freight I'd have low expectations for longevity.
yes, I guess you get what you pay for... thx

It should run a pellet stove without breaking a sweat.
Pellet stove don't have a big draw only when igniting it at maybe 600 watts max then only thing running will be exhaust and blower fans which probably be only around 200-300 watts?
I ran my 25pdv off from my generac 2000 watt inverter it had no problem at all running it.
The harbor freight 2000 watt usually get on sale at $399. if you can wait for a sale on one.

I picked up a Ryobi 2200 watt inverter genny @ HomeDepot a little over a year ago for $429 with free shipping. Runs very nice. Got it for the stove as I have a 10,000 watt Sams club genny to run the house and garage. You should be fine with HF genny, just change/flush the oil to get the manufacturing debris out of it. And run good gas (high test) with Sta-bil. Should have a long life.

Ya it's a big deal to change the oil frequently on any generator even if it means shutting down mid storm and changing it. Also checking the oil. And most generators give you a run time till the very first oil change of something like 3-5 hours to drain out metal particles and such from break in. I think my 5500 was 10 hours and my 6250 5 hours. At first it looks like you are draining clean oil then comes the fine metallic look to the oil. Oil changes after that run around every 50 hours, so in a four day outage it needs to be done at least once mid storm. Top the oil off every 12 hours, they do use a little bit of oil, not a lot but some, at least mine do. I like to keep the crank case full, they only hold a little over a quart of oil.

I like to run a synthetic blend or better in anything I own. Run your free dinosaur oil for the couple hour break-in, switch to a synthetic blend for the next couple hours, then on to full synthetic oil. FYI, Rural King stores sell their brand full synthetic for $10 a 5qt. jug (made by Citgo). Can't go wrong. Imo

Just remember,a cheaper generator will place a strain on the control board,and the blower/combustion motors.I just finished fixing an 2006 brigs and stratton generator,the out put was so dirty(according to my 2 meters)I would only use it for lights/lamps.The neighbor is going to use it for his well.He will burn out his well pump,maybe not when he uses it,the failure will come later.The more you pay,the safer you are..

Before you buy a generator, buy a "kill a watt" meter and check your watt draw at start up. They're inexpensive, available at harbor freight, and always a great tool to have at the house for figuring out any appliance draw.
I have a thread on this site where I show with pictures my usage of the kill a watt meter on my pellet stove. It could be that you can use the small Honda 1000 or whatever it is, instead of the harbor 2000. ?

I know that people like to give harbor tools a bad review, but there are many item, especially power tools, that if one were to read the directions, and/or have an understanding of the corners cut to meet the price point, one can take measures to increase the life of the tool. All of my harbor power tools get "break in" time. Even my 8750 generator ran a half tank of gas through it at no load before I used it to power anything. Brushes are not cut well nor run in on the com at the factory. Cost cutting measure. So I run the brushes in and allow the engine to get the time on it before loading it up. This has served me very well. Not 100%, but close enough to keep me a harbor freight tools customer.