hardwood flooring ok to burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
gotta friend wants to give me a ton of brazilian cherry scrapes... all pieces are no longer than 22 inches says he has saved about a pickup load from a job.. he says thats what he would burn all winter long.. scrapes from jobs...am afraid of overfiring and any other possiblites that may arise ... anyone else burn this before???

A pickup load... Id have the nicest bathroom floor in the north.
If the wood is untreated and your summit has the EBT on it than it should be fine. Ive noticed the EBT on my good neighbors side, summit gives much more control than other non cat EPA stoves runing on dry pine.

As long as they are unfinished, for sure. I love flooring scraps in our hardwood starved region. They are dry, so I use them mostly for fire starting. You can mix them with regular wood or create dense bundles like one does with BioBricks to slow the burn down.

I burn scraps all the time...hardwood or soft...so long as they have no sort of finish on them, and are not treated, and are not things like plywood or particle board or OSB that are full of glue. When I've got a fire that's approaching the end of its burning cycle, with room in the stove to toss in some scraps, and I want to "freshen up" or prolong the burn for a while, I'll frequently toss in a bunch of scraps, let 'em catch real good, then throttle back the air. Works great. "They're not just for kindling anymore". %-P Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.