Hardwood Flooring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardwood715

Feeling the Heat
Nov 30, 2005
Hyde Park, New York
Next to my offices they are renovating and adding 6 floors of apartments, noticed the junkyard behind the building(scrap stuff) is turning from metal now to wood. Lots of red oak flooring scraps, was gonna try to salvage good stuff, could be enough for a living room floor, lots of shorts though, then the lightbulb went off, wonder if this stuff burns good, anybody burn this stuff, I used to haul this stuff over the northeast and remember having to acclimate it to the buildings, moisture content somewhere in the low 20s, does that sound right??? gonna be alot of it from the pile there now, and when they delivered it recently!

We just had new, white oak floors installed downstairs. Lots of scraps. I told the floor guy I wanted to keep them. No problem he replied, want more? Sure! When he showed up to start sanding the floors he brought me lots of scraps. They burn great, and hot. Just don't overload the stove as this stuff is dry <8% moisture.

Good news! Thanks for the reply, I dont know where I came up with the low 20s # below 10 sounds more like it, I'm gonna load some up after work!

Is it unfinished? Id be leary if it has been presealed or has a finish on it. Is it 1X6 or ????. would probably be good for kindling but Iwouldnt try to fill the firebox with it.

Good point. I assumed unfinished. Our are 3", though we got some 4" scraps too. They actually can make for a good, long lasting fire if they're stacked right. It's cold enough outside that I'm going to be digging into my hardwood stash today.

Its standard 2 and a quarter by 3/4 unfinished red oak, looks like #1 common or select, big apartment complex, those familiar with poughkeepsie, its the old lucky platt building, cept they added 4 floors to it, in back, 6 storys in back, so far seen 2 tractor trailers inloading flooring.

Pre-finished burns just fine too.
I use it to get fires going quick but I ma running out and dont have anymore hardwood flooring projects at the house ....... time for an addition ;)

Some sealers and stains can be semi toxic when burnt. Shouldnt be a problem in a woodstove but Ive found it does smell funny. ( at least my flood coated Cedar siding scraps did )

Just did a quick load up in the truck, between the forklifts and bobcat running around over there , noone seems to care- they speak spanish, tried to tell me no good for floor, i say good for stove! most of its ripped or cut but its fine for me! all unfinished, just scapped in a pile, lottsa 2x4s bigger stuff, ill stick with the flooring for now, I will not burn too much at a time, thanks for the tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.