Harlan absolute63 issue! Please help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bigeclipse

Feb 8, 2017
NY
i have had the absolute63 for 2 seasons now. Suddenly it is not heating well. It has never struggled to heat our home even on bitter cold nights but lately it is struggling to heat. It is weird, the flame won’t get high but the fan will be blowing at 100%. I pulled the esp out thinking maybe it was dirty and cleaned it. The stove is still not heating well. Please help!

i have had the absolute63 for 2 seasons now. Suddenly it is not heating well. It has never struggled to heat our home even on bitter cold nights but lately it is struggling to heat. It is weird, the flame won’t get high but the fan will be blowing at 100%. I pulled the esp out thinking maybe it was dirty and cleaned it. The stove is still not heating well. Please help!

I would start with a deep cleaning then check all the gaskets, do the dollar bill test on the from door. make sure your intake air is not obstructed.

I would start with a deep cleaning then check all the gaskets, do the dollar bill test on the from door. make sure your intake air is not obstructed.
What is the dollar bill test? I am not sure where it gets intake air...there is no pipe running outside except for the exhaust pipe. I cleaned the probe and will clean the rest of the unit tonight including the chimney

the dollar bill test is you take a dollar close it in the door where the seal is and see if you can easily slide it out, if so the door needs adjusting or gasket replaced. the intake air in hidden,

Go back to basics.... Was the output reduction sudden? If so, was it after an event; cleaning, power outage etc.
Have you taken everything apart and reseated all plates, blowers, etc. (Great time to do a deep cleaning even if it was done recently)
Check the flap on the outside air and make sure it is clean with no restrictions.
Check your door gasket by closing the door in multiple spots on a dollar bill (hence the name “dollar bill test”) or a strip of paper, it should not slide out easily.
How is the flame other than no height?
Last but not least verify all settings.

Let us know what you find

Go back to basics.... Was the output reduction sudden? If so, was it after an event; cleaning, power outage etc.
Have you taken everything apart and reseated all plates, blowers, etc. (Great time to do a deep cleaning even if it was done recently)
Check the flap on the outside air and make sure it is clean with no restrictions.
Check your door gasket by closing the door in multiple spots on a dollar bill (hence the name “dollar bill test”) or a strip of paper, it should not slide out easily.
How is the flame other than no height?
Last but not least verify all settings.

Let us know what you find
Not sure what you consider a deep cleaning but I did the “total clean” that the stove recommends about ever ton. I also cleaned the pipe which goes to the chimney. I do not have an outside are pipe so not sure where to check that flap? Not sure if this was a sudden issue as the past two weeks are the first real cold weeks this year and the stove couldn’t keep up as where last year it did fine in similar temps.