Harman 1500 is complaining (blower squeal)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhetoric

Oct 12, 2006
Western NY
I have had a Harman 1500 (could be a 2500, but I don't think so) in my basement for 10 years, but only this year got it freshened up to burn coal. I have been learning alot -- still don't have it down perfectly, but I'm figuring it out. I already love the fact that, when running well, the entire house (close to 300 sq ft) AND the basement are warm. Ahhhhhh.

So last night I had it rip roaring (750 degrees on the front of the stove) and I heard the blower fan start to squeal something awful. I ran down and it seemed to be blowing fine and up to speed, but it was making the noise. I turned it up to high (it has a five position switch) and the squeal went away... for about 5 minutes!

So I waited till the stove cooled down and there doesn't seem to be any play in the squirrel cage and the fan isn't rubbing at all. Then I turned it the fan on 20 mins ago (it's running right now) and doesn't seem to be making any noise at all -- but, of course, there is no fire in the stove.

What thinkest, thou? The fan? The blower? Heat warping the housing (?!) Might a dying fan be susceptible to running poorly when it's hot? Anybody had something like this?

Thanks!
Paul

Squeal would be either belts or bearings. If it has fan belts, tighten belts or replace if cracked / damaged. If it's direct drive with the blower hanging on the motor shaft, buy a spare motor and change it when it either fails completely or you get tired of the noise.

Squeal would be either belts or bearings. If it has fan belts, tighten belts or replace if cracked / damaged. If it's direct drive with the blower hanging on the motor shaft, buy a spare motor and change it when it either fails completely or you get tired of the noise.
Thanks, Dan. I found oiler cups on the motor and the squeak went away... for about week or so. Then it started again, so I re-oiled. I'm probably delaying the inevitable, but it does tell me that it's the motor and not the fan, so that's good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.