Harman 52I Auger Noise?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

What is louder?

• Fans on Medium to 3/4

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Auger motor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelleteer

Nov 10, 2015
NE Mass
Hi All,

New to Pellets and pellet stove. Had my 52I installed yesterday. The install seemed to go fairly smooth ("Professionally" done). Right away when turned on I noticed vibration and resonance from the feed assembly. This is in our living room. I understand there was going to be noise. The fan noise is actually not as bad as I was expecting and not nearly as bad as a window unit AC. The auger kind of sounds like a the garbage disposal but more frequently.

The unit is not completely level could this cause an issue?

I realize there is going to be noise but how much is too much?

Is there a break in period? Will this get any better? I am sure it will be less noticeable once I am used to it.

I know pellets and fines can cause an issue but right away?

Its an all metal in a box in a masonry dome are there ways to insulate without causing hazard (IE Roxul)?

Is this the motor or something related to the feed assembly? It seems like the feed assembly has been the same for a number of units like the P61 looking up part numbers.

I am going to bring it up with the dealer but I am expecting to get the you're over reacting we can't come for a long time run around.

Professionaly installed but it's not level??
Are you experiencing a rumble, or is it a snap popping noise?... or other?
What brand pellets are you burning?

My fan noise is louder than auger. I can hear the auger but less than half the noise of the fan.

Professionaly installed but it's not level??
Are you experiencing a rumble, or is it a snap popping noise?... or other?
What brand pellets are you burning?

Yeah, I am sure my fireplace and hearth are not perfectly aligned. I would think there would be ways to shim it so it came out level. It is not way off but if there is strain on something.

It is a rumble/vibration/resonance/moaning. I have seen and read about popping. On my one day with it that did not noticeably happen.

Geneva from Maine. They are quite dusty but on the first bag?

By the way the heat output is amazing on this thing.

My fan noise is louder than auger. I can hear the auger but less than half the noise of the fan.

Thank you that is what I was expecting but...

I called the dealer and they will be sending someone out to check on it. Lets hope they don't say something like that is the "normal" range of operation.

I had my 52i installed last year. I didn't have a break in period on my unit. The auger does not really make noise with my unit. I only here the clinking of pellet being pushed into the pot. The fan is not real loud either but I am use to the noise of a fan as I had a wood insert before the pellet stove. You shouldn't be hearing any whining noises for the auger. I would get them back as soon as possible. There is no excuse for the unit not being level. I'm sure you paid a good amount to have the unit installed. Be vigilant and get it taken care of right away.

I had my 52i installed last year. I didn't have a break in period on my unit. The auger does not really make noise with my unit. I only here the clinking of pellet being pushed into the pot. The fan is not real loud either but I am use to the noise of a fan as I had a wood insert before the pellet stove. You shouldn't be hearing any whining noises for the auger. I would get them back as soon as possible. There is no excuse for the unit not being level. I'm sure you paid a good amount to have the unit installed. Be vigilant and get it taken care of right away.

Thank you for the verification. I have read and seen about whining but that is not at all what this is. It is as if the feed assembly is adding to the bass of my 2.1 sound bar next to it, a low rumble/groan.

Last edited:
my 52 will make some noises to but mostly pellets loading with the occasional groan of breaking up bigger pellets, some times after cleaning if the bottom cast piece that's just above the floor isn't in just right or one of the side doors isn't closed all the way it will add to the noise, when you notice the most noise try putting some pressure on the surround pcs and hopper door and see if it changes anything some thing could be loose, but being brand new id call too

my 52 will make some noises to but mostly pellets loading with the occasional groan of breaking up bigger pellets, some times after cleaning if the bottom cast piece that's just above the floor isn't in just right or one of the side doors isn't closed all the way it will add to the noise, when you notice the most noise try putting some pressure on the surround pcs and hopper door and see if it changes anything some thing could be loose, but being brand new id call too

The dealer service provider is coming tomorrow. I did notice that the left corner of the bottom cast is touching the hearth extension tile. It is tight there where as the other side has a bit of a gap. I will update with the hopeful resolution.

Follow up. The service guy came out. They acknowledged the sound. They pulled the stove out and checked around. They adjusted the frame with longer bolts. He put a gasket near a combustion blower shield. They seated the unit. It is significant less noisy. Pellets are dropping without major vibration.

I do hear some expansion pops but nothing overly concerning or loud like some have had. In a quick observation it seems like the steel shield behind the heat shield plates are connected by a series of rivets to the heat exchanger. In long term use I could see those breaking with expansion and weathering. Could be a reason for loud pop as different parts of that steel expand and contract.

Thanks for the input. Good to be a part of a community of enthusiasts being a noob like myself.

I would be concerned with the popping noises. I have had my stove now for just over a year and have burned about 5 tons. I have never had any popping noises what so ever. I think something has happened in their manufacturing as there are several people with this issue. I would address this also. Don't ;live with it because it is not normal. I would be concerned that those noises will cause bigger problems several years down the road when you won't have a leg to stand on. Start the documentation now to protect your investment, these stoves are not cheap. Just my two cents.

I would be concerned with the popping noises. I have had my stove now for just over a year and have burned about 5 tons. I have never had any popping noises what so ever. I think something has happened in their manufacturing as there are several people with this issue. I would address this also. Don't ;live with it because it is not normal. I would be concerned that those noises will cause bigger problems several years down the road when you won't have a leg to stand on. Start the documentation now to protect your investment, these stoves are not cheap. Just my two cents.
What you are saying is you have no noises what so ever? During warm up and cool down? All you hear is the fans?

What you are saying is you have no noises what so ever? During warm up and cool down? All you hear is the fans?
I listened very carefully this morning to stove heating up from a cold start. I do not here any popping during warm up. I do hear a few clicks here and there but nothing I would consider a pop. They are very faint and you really have to listen to hear it.

Jiggle the fire back extension. I had one that was loud and it seemed to correlate w/ the fire back extension just setting there. seemed to quite down once stove heated up

I listened very carefully this morning to stove heating up from a cold start. I do not here any popping during warm up. I do hear a few clicks here and there but nothing I would consider a pop. They are very faint and you really have to listen to hear it.

Perhaps pop is not the word for it, it is more of a click or a ting. It is definitely related to expansion and contraction with metal to metal. It is not to the point right now after 2 bags that I am concerned about. I will certainly monitor it throughout this season and the life of the stove. If there is something overly loud or concerning I will be sure to bring it up with the dealer and try to get it escalated.

Jiggle the fire back extension. I had one that was loud and it seemed to correlate w/ the fire back extension just setting there. seemed to quite down once stove heated up

Are the fire back extension the rippled plates and the compass piece? They do just sit in place. I have removed and reinstalled them and wiggled them. I am not sure if they contribute to the expansion contraction sounds, probably a little. I think it is more likely caused by the sheet metal behind it that the heat exchange is attached to.

Disclaimer: I am not an engineer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.