Harman 52i hopper hot to the touch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mr47930

Burning Hunk
Aug 11, 2014
Southern MD
Currently running on about an hour burn time and I opened the hopper top and pushed the pellets down and noticed that it was hot. Is this normal? I feel like that's a hazard to have the area where the pellets are stored to be that hot.

Mine gets hot too it sits directly on top of the stove so it will get warm.

Mine gets hot too it sits directly on top of the stove so it will get warm.
I figured it would be warm but I was only able to hold my hand on it for about 2 seconds before it became painful. It feels a little too warm. Anyone know the combustion temp of the pellets?

Most pellet stoves are designed this way if your that concerned I would have your dealer check it out but keep an eye on it.I would say that it's normal mine is also a little hotter than I expected but haven't had any issues

Just checked my Castile hopper with my infrared thermometer, it is 133 degrees stove set on medium.

Reactions: Big papa
My quadrafire hopper also gets north of warm. This is normal as the stove soaks the heat it will try to equilibrate throughout the stove. The hopper isn't insulated either. The stove has a built in switch that will disable the auger if the hopper lid is ajar. This is a safety mechanism to prevent a hopper fire. If the lid is left open long enough the fire will burn out. The hopper lid once sealed creates a near air tight seal. Minimizing the oxygen available in the rare event of a fire.

Update: after 6 hours on high my Castile hopper is 162 degrees. Fairly warm but quite a bit below combustion temperature.

I rate my 52i inside hopper as " hot as a sonofab!tch" when it's cooking along 24/7. No issues to this point... Knock on wood

Yeah I don't have a Harmon, the Devil made me do that :cool:, but the hopper in my pellet puppy gets hot. It is on top of a stove.

I rate my 52i inside hopper as " hot as a sonofab!tch" when it's cooking along 24/7. No issues to this point... Knock on wood

Yea I was quite surprised to feel how hot it was. The hopper lid itself isn't really hot at all but when you open it up and feel the actual hopper area below the pellets it felt a little too hot to be holding 50 lbs. of fuel.

Yea I finally got a chance to run it for an extended period of time and it didnt get any hotter so I assume its normal operation. Still playing with the controls. Monday woke up to 71 downstairs and 67 upstairs, this morning woke up to 76 downstairs and 72 upstairs. Think ill set the dial right between those two tonight. Electric furnace hasnt been on yet this year!

The hopper being hot seemed normal to me but didn't want to lead ya wrong.yes it takes a little time getting your temp just right but once you do your done won't have to do it again.once you learn what settings you like you will hardly touch it except to fill the hopper and clean.harmans are pretty user friendly enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.